Attractive Forces from Particle Exchange

In summary, the conversation discusses the bidirectional stream of photons between an electron and a nucleus, the role of fields and particles in producing force, and the confusion around the magnitude and signs of charges. The speaker also brings up the issue of other particles such as gluons, Z bosons, W bosons, and gravitons and their role in creating only repulsive forces. They mention a source for further learning and acknowledge that the actual model is more complex than initially thought.
anorlunda
Staff Emeritus
Insights Author
IMG_20140720_075036.jpg

Above is Figure 65 from Feynman's book QED. It shows the bidirectional stream of photons between an electron and a nucleus, that Feynman says "keeps the electron within a certain range." I can visualize repulsive forces, but I'm having trouble with attractive forces.

I understand that force comes from the gradient of fields, and that fields result from the presence of particles, so I should be able to answer my own question, but I'm having trouble putting it all together.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7a/Feynman_diagram_general_properties.svg
"Feynman diagram general properties" by Maschen

My thinking reflects the Feynman diagram above that I found on Wikipedia. As long as a right moving photon carries only right pointing momentum, (ditto for left) it can only produce repulsive forces. It sounds like I am describing radiation pressure, which indeed can only be repulsive between two emitting neighbors. But I fail to include in the analysis the magnitude and signs of the charges of the two particles, which is the elephant in the room.

As I see it, Feynman's Figure 65 would be the same if I substituted a positron for the electron, and Maschen's Feynman diagram would be the same regardless of charges. So there's got to be more to the story.

What am I missing, and where is a source I can go to learn more about it?

p.s. I have the same conceptual problem with gluons, Z bosons, W bosons, and gravitons. If they are simply carriers of momentum, exchanges of particles should create only repulsive forces. Clearly I'm thinking wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Wow; that's quite an answer. It will take me some time to absorb it. Thank you Simon Bridge.

1. What are attractive forces from particle exchange?

Attractive forces from particle exchange refer to the interactions between particles that result in the attraction between them. These forces are caused by the exchange of particles, such as electrons or photons, between two or more particles.

2. How do attractive forces from particle exchange work?

Attractive forces from particle exchange work by the exchange of particles between two or more particles. This exchange can create an imbalance in the distribution of charge, leading to an attractive force between the particles.

3. What types of particles are involved in attractive forces from particle exchange?

The types of particles involved in attractive forces from particle exchange can vary depending on the specific interaction. In general, electrons, photons, and other subatomic particles can be involved in these attractive forces.

4. Can attractive forces from particle exchange be both attractive and repulsive?

Yes, attractive forces from particle exchange can be both attractive and repulsive. This is because the exchange of particles can lead to both attractive and repulsive interactions between particles, depending on the specific conditions.

5. How do attractive forces from particle exchange affect the behavior of matter?

Attractive forces from particle exchange play a significant role in determining the behavior of matter. These forces can determine the structure, properties, and interactions of particles, which ultimately affect the behavior of matter on a larger scale.