Build a small artificial geyser

• Thread starter nadabro
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Build
In summary, the conversation is about the idea of using geothermal activity to create a geyser. The person has questions about the output of a borehole, the reaction between cold water and a superheated metal pipe, the ideal soil temperature, and the length/width and type of metal for the pipe. Another person suggests using a main pipe with a smaller pipe inside to create a safer geyser. They also advise consulting with experts and prioritizing safety before attempting this idea.
nadabro
Hi.

Just a idea wondering around my brain today.

I live near volcanoes, some have secondary activity (which is used for geothermal exploration), but while the magma is close enough to the surface to create secondary volcanism activity (such has fumaroles), we don't any geyser.

After searching the web i came across this video, which looks like simple to accomplish (security first..)..

1) The output of the borehole is simply water vapor?

2) The reaction should be the cold water in contact with a super heated metal pipe?

3) What soil temperature should i search?

4) Length/width of the pipe and which type of metal the pipe should be to accomplish better results?Any help/ideas is appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
hmmm ok
I would suggest that they way they are manually pouring the water is a bit dangerous
and could lead to some one getting badly burnt

A much better and safer idea would be to have the main pipe say somewhere ~ 4" diameter
and have a smaller 3/4' pipe going down the inside of it for some distance ... say 1/2 to 2/3
the length of the main pipe.
The cold water is then sent down the smaller diam. pipe and comes back up the main one as your geyser
That way you can turn a tap on and off at a safe distance cheers
Dave

Hi there! That's an interesting idea about using geothermal activity to create a geyser. I'm not an expert on the subject, but here are some thoughts on your questions:

1) From my understanding, the output of a borehole can vary depending on the specific location and depth. It could be water vapor, steam, or even liquid water. I think it would depend on the temperature and pressure of the geothermal source.

2) Yes, I believe the reaction would be the cold water coming into contact with the superheated metal pipe. This would cause the water to turn into steam and create pressure, eventually leading to a geyser-like eruption.

3) I'm not sure about the specific soil temperature, but I would imagine it would need to be hot enough to superheat the water but not too hot that it would immediately turn to steam. Maybe doing some research on the average soil temperature in geothermal areas could give you an idea.

4) The length and width of the pipe would also depend on the specific conditions of the geothermal source. As for the type of metal, I would suggest using a durable and heat-resistant material such as stainless steel or titanium.

Overall, it seems like a feasible idea, but I would definitely recommend consulting with experts or doing more research before attempting it. Safety should definitely be a top priority. Good luck with your exploration!

What materials do I need to build a small artificial geyser?

To build a small artificial geyser, you will need a plastic bottle or container, water, baking soda, and vinegar. You may also want to have food coloring and glitter for added visual effects.

What is the process for building a small artificial geyser?

To build a small artificial geyser, fill the bottle or container about halfway with water. Add a few drops of food coloring and a pinch of glitter, if desired. Then, add a few tablespoons of baking soda to the water. Finally, pour in a cup of vinegar and quickly step back to watch the geyser erupt.

How does the chemical reaction in an artificial geyser work?

The chemical reaction in an artificial geyser is a reaction between the baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) and vinegar (acetic acid). This reaction produces carbon dioxide gas, which creates pressure inside the bottle and causes the geyser to erupt.

Can I make the geyser erupt multiple times?

Yes, you can make the geyser erupt multiple times by adding more baking soda and vinegar to the bottle. However, keep in mind that the geyser may become less powerful with each eruption as the ingredients become diluted.

Are there any safety precautions I should take when building a small artificial geyser?

Yes, it is important to take safety precautions when building a small artificial geyser. Make sure to wear protective eyewear and stand back when the geyser erupts. Also, be cautious when handling the bottle or container, as it may become hot due to the chemical reaction.