NSF funding of social and behavioral sciences.

• Thread starter Student100
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Funding
In summary, the conversation discusses the role of the NSF in funding the social and behavioral sciences. One person believes that while there is value in funding these fields, there is also a need for more research to improve their predictive power. Another person questions the effectiveness of the current state of social science and suggests that funding should be used to improve the science aspect of the field.
Student100
Education Advisor
Gold Member
So I was reading a science mag link today and wondered what you all thought about the NSF's role in funding the social and behavioral sciences?

I don't really have a problem with it, but I'd rather see more research into actually refining the predictive power of these branches of science. It just seems like there's a lot of really poor quantitative research or loads of philosophical sounding qualitative research that doesn't really support any kind of prediction or model.

So what do you all think? Should the NSF fund the social and behavioral sciences?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Student100 said:
So what do you all think? Should the NSF fund the social and behavioral sciences?

Considering how poorly our society can act sometimes I think it's good. It's not a good thing that technology innovation laps social innovation.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Considering how poorly our society can act sometimes I think it's good. It's not a good thing that technology innovation laps social innovation.

Is social science in its current state really social innovation though? With an inability to control or even know many of the variables exist that are inherent to studying people, are all the results currently published in journals all spurious? There is a real lack of predictive power currently in the social sciences, and the boundaries to overcome them might not be surmountable; such as ethical and feasibility boundaries.

Social sciences have a much greater opportunity to shape policy making or cultural norms than the Natural sciences. They’re also, to the disdain of many a natural scientists ego, far more complex. It just seems like instead of improving predictive quality, designing experiments or process that can overcome known boundaries they’re for the most part ignored by social scientists. Instead we get papers like “Good teachers improve student outcomes.” What does that even mean? What is a good teacher? How are you able to account for the quality of students between “good teachers” and bad ones? How is a paper like this allowed to shape policy (Obama mentioned these results way back in 2009)? I just don’t understand.

I don’t mind the funding by the NSF, I just think the quantities they’re using to measure it’s impact are flawed. It seems to me like the social sciences need to be spending grant money on improving the science aspect of their field. Are there any social scientists actually doing this?

1. What types of research projects does the NSF fund in the social and behavioral sciences?

The NSF funds a wide range of research projects in the social and behavioral sciences, including studies on human behavior and cognition, economic and social systems, language and communication, and societal impacts of new technologies. The NSF also supports interdisciplinary research that combines social and behavioral sciences with other fields such as engineering, computer science, and biology.

2. How can I apply for NSF funding for my social and behavioral sciences research project?

To apply for NSF funding, you will need to submit a proposal through the NSF's online portal, FastLane. You will need to provide detailed information about your research project, including its objectives, methodology, and expected outcomes. The NSF also requires a budget and a detailed plan for how you will manage and disseminate your research findings.

3. What criteria does the NSF use to evaluate proposals for social and behavioral sciences research?

The NSF evaluates proposals based on several criteria, including the intellectual merit of the project, its potential for broader impacts, and the feasibility of the proposed methodology. The NSF also considers the qualifications of the research team and the potential for the research to contribute to scientific knowledge and benefit society.

4. Are there any restrictions on the types of organizations that can receive NSF funding for social and behavioral sciences research?

The NSF funds research projects at universities, colleges, and other academic institutions, as well as non-profit organizations and government agencies. For-profit organizations are not eligible for NSF funding, but they can collaborate on research projects with eligible organizations.

5. Can international researchers or organizations apply for NSF funding for social and behavioral sciences research?

Yes, international researchers and organizations can apply for NSF funding for social and behavioral sciences research. However, they must collaborate with eligible U.S. organizations and follow the same application process as U.S.-based researchers. The NSF also has specific programs and partnerships for international collaborations in certain areas of research.