Three-Line Diagram: What is It?

• Thread starter Passacaglia
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diagram
In summary: Welcome to the PF.Others will give you better answers, but I'm guessing they mean the 3-phase power wiring diagram? The utility is definitely the best to talk to. They will need to do inspections and approve your interconnect circuitry/modules....The utility is definitely the best to talk to. They will need to do inspections and approve your interconnect circuitry/modules....I've uncovered so far is that "A three-line diagram is more detailed than a one-line diagram," which is frustratingly vague.A one-line diagram:A three-line diagram:See, like I said. There's a *better* answer!
Passacaglia
Hi all, is anyone familiar with the term 'three-line diagram'? I've been searching and googling up the wazoo, but all I've uncovered so far is that "A three-line diagram is more detailed than a one-line diagram," which is frustratingly vague. I'm guessing that this term is an alternate one for a more commonly-used term.

(I'm a three-year EE student working an informal internship at a small hydroelectric facility. My 'bosses' have asked me to look into reconnecting to the NYS grid via the NYSEG power company, but neither of them are engineers so I'm mostly on my own. A three-line diagram is one of the first steps that NYSEG documentation requires to connect to the grid. I've been trying to reach NYSEG, but I figured I'd ask the good PF folks instead of sitting on my hands.)

Engineering news on Phys.org
Passacaglia said:
Hi all, is anyone familiar with the term 'three-line diagram'? I've been searching and googling up the wazoo, but all I've uncovered so far is that "A three-line diagram is more detailed than a one-line diagram," which is frustratingly vague. I'm guessing that this term is an alternate one for a more commonly-used term.

(I'm a three-year EE student working an informal internship at a small hydroelectric facility. My 'bosses' have asked me to look into reconnecting to the NYS grid via the NYSEG power company, but neither of them are engineers so I'm mostly on my own. A three-line diagram is one of the first steps that NYSEG documentation requires to connect to the grid. I've been trying to reach NYSEG, but I figured I'd ask the good PF folks instead of sitting on my hands.)

Welcome to the PF.

Others will give you better answers, but I'm guessing they mean the 3-phase power wiring diagram? The utility is definitely the best to talk to. They will need to do inspections and approve your interconnect circuitry/modules.

Passacaglia said:
... I've uncovered so far is that "A three-line diagram is more detailed than a one-line diagram," which is frustratingly vague.
A one-line diagram:

10.5923.j.instrument.20120102.03_001.gif

A three-line diagram:

analytical-schematic-diagram-distributive-power-substation.gif

Likes 1 person
See, like I said. There's a *better* answer! :smile:

Thank you all!

You get the same sort of 'abbreviation' with layout diagrams of complex digital circuits where 16 or 32 lines get drawn as one. Really essential at times.

We also use the words "one line" or "single line".

Single lines are typically used for overall power distribution like in factory substations...or a single line to describe say 100 or more substations in a factory.

Instead of using three lines, they just use one line to represent three phase power. Makes sense when you have multiple loads to keep track of on one single page or drawing.

In the drawing above, three line makes more sense because they are showing details of how to wire it.
Single lines are more of an overall view to the electrician or plant engineer.

This has all been very helpful, and I got a good start on this diagram yesterday!

Can anyone recommend a pdf with all of the common circuit symbols and labels? Not necessarily with every single symbol under the sun, but enough so that I don't have to invent symbols for stuff. (An asynchronous generator with a Y-connection and a motor starter have already come up.)

1. What is a three-line diagram?

A three-line diagram is a visual representation of a three-phase power system. It shows the connections and components of the system in a simplified form, using three lines to represent each phase.

2. What is the purpose of a three-line diagram?

The primary purpose of a three-line diagram is to provide a clear and concise overview of the three-phase power system. It helps engineers and technicians to understand and analyze the system, identify potential issues, and plan for maintenance or upgrades.

3. How is a three-line diagram different from a one-line diagram?

A one-line diagram only shows the electrical connections and components in a single line, while a three-line diagram shows these elements in three separate lines, representing each phase. A one-line diagram is typically used for simpler single-phase systems, while a three-line diagram is used for more complex three-phase systems.

4. Can a three-line diagram be used for both AC and DC systems?

Yes, a three-line diagram can be used for both AC (alternating current) and DC (direct current) systems. However, it is primarily used for three-phase AC systems.

5. How is a three-line diagram created?

A three-line diagram is typically created using specialized software, such as AutoCAD or ETAP. The diagram is based on the system's electrical schematic, and all components and connections are represented using standardized symbols and conventions. It requires knowledge of electrical engineering and a thorough understanding of the specific power system being depicted.