Greatest Natural Wonders of The Earth

In summary, the natural wonders that amaze me the most are the blue flame in Ijen, the waterfalls of Iceland, and the Columbia River Gorge.
Bail_07
What features of our Earth amaze you the most? They can be natural wonders, science phenomenons, landforms, etc. Share anything that you think captures the essence of Earth's beauty. Hopefully I can learn some things that I did not know before.

These are my favorite natural wonders:
http://youtu.be/-yxhI4Aos0M

Last edited:
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Half dome is pretty cool.

Half-Dome-In-Yosemite.jpg

When I was a kid, we vacationed in Yosemite virtually every summer. My dad was hippie outdoorsey kind of guy. They have some wonderful waterfalls in Yosemite to, like Bridalveil and many others

bridalveil-fall-350w.jpg

tsingy-stone-forest-madagascar-2-610x457.jpg

I really love this place even though i haven't been to it. Its a incredibly dangerous but awesome area.
Its called the Tsingy stone Forest, in Madagascar. Whenever a research team goes here they usually all ways discover atleast 5 new species!

Ball_Lightning_Form.jpg

Ball lightning is one of my favorite unexplained atmospheric phenomena.

another wonder of Bolivia, Laguna Colorada, Red Salt lake:
Matt-Walker.jpg

Waterfall Island, Alto Parana, Parguay:

SGAzh.jpg

Likes Greg Bernhardt
DiracPool ...

Yeah Half Dome is pretty cool

Greg...
Is that you in the pic ?

Dave...
wasn't familiar with that waterfall

There's that other really high one in Brazil or Venezuela ? that's awesome too

gosh wish I had the money to do more travel to these places :frown:

Dave

The view from Crown Point, Oregon and the Columbia River Gorge is a wonder.

Crown_Point_Oregon.jpg

4521295482_09fde0f7ec_z.jpg

Love this thread. MOAR!

davenn said:
There's that other really high one in Brazil or Venezuela ? that's awesome too

gosh wish I had the money to do more travel to these places :frown:

Dave

Yes its in venezuela, Angel Falls!
01.jpg

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Blue Lava volcano, kwahi Igen:
o-BLUE-LAVA-3-900.jpg

Mniazi said:
Blue Lava volcano, kwahi Igen:

cool

hadn't heard of that one ...
from wiki ...
Blue Fire Crater[edit]

Since National Geographic mentioned the electric-blue flame of Ijen, more tourists have come to see it. The phenomenon has occurred for a long time, but beforehand there was no midnight hiking. A two-hour hike is required to reach rim of the crater, thence 45 minutes to hike down to the bank of the crater, a guide necessary. The blue fire is not lava, but the ignited sulphuric gas, which emerged from cracks, with temperatures up to 600 degrees Celsius (1,112 degrees Fahrenheit) and up to 5 meters (16 feet) high; some of the gas condenses to liquid with the low alpine temperature and is still ignited, leading to the common assumption that it is lava.[6][7] It is the largest blue flame area in the world and local people refer to it as 'Blue Fire', because it easier and more understandable to say 'fire' than 'flame'.

my bold

Dave

nsaspook said:
The view from Crown Point, Oregon and the Columbia River Gorge is a wonder.

hi nsaspook,
been there a couple of times 1999 and 2006. an awesome view up and down the valley :smile:

Dave

I see some of that view everyday as my house is at the Portland side mouth of the river gorge. Amtrak has a service from Portland to eastern Washington that follows the river on that side that is amazing for its views.

Seljalandsfoss-waterfall-in-Iceland-1.jpg
The amazing waterfalls of Iceland are pure eye candy.

Likes Greg Bernhardt

1. What are the top 5 greatest natural wonders of the Earth?

The top 5 greatest natural wonders of the Earth, as determined by popular vote and expert opinions, are the Grand Canyon, Great Barrier Reef, Mount Everest, Aurora Borealis, and Victoria Falls.

2. How were these natural wonders formed?

The Grand Canyon was formed by erosion from the Colorado River, the Great Barrier Reef is a result of coral growth over thousands of years, Mount Everest is a product of tectonic plate movement, the Aurora Borealis is caused by the Earth's magnetic field, and Victoria Falls was formed by the Zambezi River eroding the land over time.

3. Are there any man-made natural wonders?

While the term "natural wonder" typically refers to formations created by natural processes, there are some man-made structures that have been deemed as natural wonders, such as the Great Wall of China and the Moai statues on Easter Island. However, these are exceptions and not typically included in the list of greatest natural wonders.

4. Can these natural wonders be visited and explored?

Yes, all of the top 5 greatest natural wonders of the Earth can be visited and explored by tourists. However, some may require permits or guided tours to access certain areas. It is important to respect and preserve these natural wonders while visiting.

5. Are there any efforts in place to protect these natural wonders?

Yes, there are various efforts in place to protect and preserve these natural wonders. National parks, UNESCO World Heritage Sites, and other conservation organizations work to protect these areas from human interference and environmental damage. It is important for individuals to also be mindful of their impact while visiting these natural wonders.