Damaged split supply amplifier

In summary, the boss amplifier is causing the distortion in my car. I replaced the power supply modulator chip, but the problem persists. I think the problem may be with the power supply itself, and I need to measure the current it's drawing to help determine if that's the case.
Tesladude
I have a boss subwoofer amplifier which I recently discovered was causeing the distortion I have been hearing in my car.

this amplifier consists of a PWM powersupply turning the 13.5v from my on car to a +45 -45 power supply.

Then there are 8 mosfet transistors, 4 in parralel powering one phase of audio, then another 4 in parrelel powering the other phase of audio.

I am reading on my DMM that the amp when put to the max I can get a 40 ish volt output which is plenty more than I need and to be expected.

But when the amplifier is hooked to my 2 subwoofers
at 2 ohms (which the amp is rated for) I can get an absolute max of only 14-ish volts and a lot of distortion.

This sounds exactly like the power supply pukse width modulator is not working correctly. So I checked all of the power supply switching mosfets and they all work.
so then I replaced the modulator chip itself expecting that to fix the problem and yet it did not.

any ideas?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Have you measured the power supply rails to see if they are sagging? Also, what do they do at various loads? Can you see a change in the output to the switcher on a scope as the load changes? Try these things with your subs hooked in series or just one at a time to change the load. Also, is the 12 volt supply holding up feeding to the amp? If you figure the amp at 100% efficient (which it obviously is not) a 2 ohm load at 80 volts peak to peak will pull about 30 amps from the 12 volt source. Do you have a way to measure this current? Also, do you know if both phases are doing the same thing? If so, it indicates a power supply problem.

Averagesupernova said:
Have you measured the power supply rails to see if they are sagging? Also, what do they do at various loads? Can you see a change in the output to the switcher on a scope as the load changes? Try these things with your subs hooked in series or just one at a time to change the load. Also, is the 12 volt supply holding up feeding to the amp? If you figure the amp at 100% efficient (which it obviously is not) a 2 ohm load at 80 volts peak to peak will pull about 30 amps from the 12 volt source. Do you have a way to measure this current? Also, do you know if both phases are doing the same thing? If so, it indicates a power supply problem.

Why do I read 100V AC between each rail and ground?

I have no scope,
also the power supply is a running car useing 10 gauge coper wire, this is a little thinner than it should be but not nearely thin enough to make such a difference in output power.
At 8 ohms it does the exact same thing and starts dieing at 14v.

right now I am trying to figure of there is any transistor or anything damagable leading to the PWM chips current sensor.

Last edited:
I haven't worked without a scope on stuff like this probably ever. I was fortunate enough to own a scope before even having any formal training in electronics. I would not like doing this without a scope. You seem to do a lot of amplifier tinkering. I think you could justify the investment. Can you temporarily disable the current sense to determine if this is causing the problem?

Ya, i really need to get one.
but i don't have any money, that is why i need t fix this lol.

I am working on it but the datasheet is not a big help...
and it looks like the feedback pin is just grounded with a few caps and resistors.
it's real weird.another thing is that i have a homemade work bench power supply that can put out a few amps at 12v,
the entire amplifiers idle current is just on 800ma, i put a 4ohm dumby load on the amplifiers output and for some reason i was reading that the amp was drawing 2 amps while i only had about 1.5v output on a 50Hz sine wave!

1.5V/4Ω=0.375A

0.375A*1.5V=0.5625W

0.5625W/12V=0.046875A

0.046875A+0.8A=0.846875

The math shows that i should only be reading 0.845A, not 2.0A

1. What is a damaged split supply amplifier?

A damaged split supply amplifier is an electronic device used to amplify and process signals. It consists of two separate power supplies, one positive and one negative, which are used to power different components of the amplifier. The amplifier may become damaged if the power supply voltages are not regulated properly or if there is a short circuit in the circuitry.

2. How do I know if my split supply amplifier is damaged?

There are a few signs that may indicate a damaged split supply amplifier. These include distorted or low-quality output signals, overheating of the amplifier, and abnormal behavior such as sudden shutdowns or unexpected noises. You may also notice a burning smell or physical damage to the amplifier.

3. Can a damaged split supply amplifier be repaired?

In some cases, a damaged split supply amplifier can be repaired by a qualified technician. However, the extent of the damage and the availability of replacement parts will determine whether the repair is possible and cost-effective. In some cases, it may be more practical to replace the amplifier altogether.

4. How can I prevent my split supply amplifier from becoming damaged?

To prevent damage to a split supply amplifier, it is important to use a regulated power supply and to ensure that the power supply voltages are within the recommended range. Proper grounding and shielding techniques should also be employed to minimize the risk of short circuits. Regular maintenance and inspections can also help identify any potential issues before they become major problems.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when using a split supply amplifier?

Yes, there are a few safety precautions to keep in mind when using a split supply amplifier. Always make sure to use a properly rated power supply and to follow the manufacturer's instructions for installation and operation. Avoid touching any internal components while the amplifier is powered on and unplugged. If you suspect the amplifier is damaged, do not attempt to repair it yourself and seek professional assistance.