Spacecraft Take-Off from the Moon - Apollo Landing Module

• Thread starter gianeshwar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Moon
In summary: Rockets, helicopters, planes, all push the air. That's how they work.In summary, the conversation discusses the principles of rocket propulsion and how it differs on Earth and on the moon. The use of fuel and rocket engines to generate thrust is explained, and the role of air reaction in aiding in flight is also discussed. The conversation also touches on the concept of action and reaction, and how it applies to different types of flight. The conversation ends with a clarification on the difference between pushing and hindering in regards to rocket propulsion.
gianeshwar
Dear Friends!
I am curious to know about take off from moon of a space craft.
How Apollo landing module after detaching itself from orbitter module lands on moon and how later it takes off to attach to orbitter module in the absance
of any atmosphere which could give continuous support to craft while landing and push to craft while taking off?

Physics news on Phys.org
You know that rocket motors do not need an atmosphere to work, right?

How external reaction is generated to give it force to move?

gianeshwar said:

The fuel (and oxidizer) that the craft carries along acts both as an energy source and as reaction mass. The rocket motors expel the exhaust gasses out the back at very high speed. As the gasses are hurled one way the resulting force propels the craft in the opposite direction.

A rocket engine does NOT "push" against anything. it throws gasses out the back end, having momentum "mv" where m is the (very small) mass of the gasses an v is (very large) speed of the gasses. That gives it an increase in speed V given by MV= mv with M the mass of the rocket. Do you know what "conservation of momentum" means. What grade are you in school?

On Earth rockets use the reaction force provided by reaction from air as well.On moon there can not be such reaction except in the beginning from floor.
Rocket is continuously pulled towards floor due to gravitation.

The rocket fuel is what pushes the rocket engine. The air is not needed. The fuel combusts, expands and pushes the rocket engine.

gianeshwar said:

See also:

240px-R%C3%BCckstoss1600.png

And:

http://www.popsci.com/military-avia...-times-nasa-youre-right-rockets-do-work-space

gianeshwar said:
On Earth rockets use the reaction force provided by reaction from air as well.On moon there can not be such reaction except in the beginning from floor.
Sorry, but this is false. Backwards even. Since the exhaust gases are opposed by the atmosphere, thrust is LOWER in the atmosphere, not higher.

The same propulsion principle applies to air reaction devices as well (jets, helicopters, etc): they are moved by action-reaction, not by pushing on the air, just like rockets.

How is the action-reaction effect of air reaction devices not "pushing the air"? That seems very much like pushing the air to me. Air gets pushed down, device gets pushed up such that momentum is conserved and the center of mass of the air/device system remains unchanged. That is what pushing is. At least, that is what I think of when I think of pushing and I think that is what most people think. I never studied aerospace engineering or flight in depth... But from my studies in physics I believe that this is how all motion is achieved - through pushing. Nothing can move without pushing something else.

Last edited:
russ_watters said:
...helicopters... they are moved by action-reaction, not by pushing on the air...

action - reaction : helicopter pushes air down - air pushes helicopter up

russ_watters said:
Sorry, but this is false. Backwards even. Since the exhaust gases are opposed by the atmosphere, thrust is LOWER in the atmosphere, not higher.

The same propulsion principle applies to air reaction devices as well (jets, helicopters, etc): they are moved by action-reaction, not by pushing on the air, just like rockets.

Perhaps heavier than air flight could be regarded as the plane pushing against the Earth (effectively) - just with a rather bungee substance in between. After all, the weight of the plane (level flight, of course) is ultimately being supported by the Earth's surface.

ModusPwnd said:
How is the action-reaction effect of air reaction devices not "pushing the air"? That seems very much like pushing the air to me. Air gets pushed down, device gets pushed up such that momentum is conserved and the center of mass of the air/device system remains unchanged. That is what pushing is.
I guess the point is (as can be seen from the thrust equation) that if ambient pressure is "pushing back" against the rocket exhaust, then the exhaust leaves with a lower downward momentum and the rocket gains less upward momentum. The rocket isn't "using" the reaction with air so much as it is "hindered" by it.

ModusPwnd said:
How is the action-reaction effect of air reaction devices not "pushing the air"? That seems very much like pushing the air to me. Air gets pushed down, device gets pushed up such that momentum is conserved and the center of mass of the air/device system remains unchanged. That is what pushing is. At least, that is what I think of when I think of pushing and I think that is what most people think. I never studied aerospace engineering or flight in depth... But from my studies in physics I believe that this is how all motion is achieved - through pushing. Nothing can move without pushing something else.
That isn't what the OP is saying. The OP is saying that the air coming out of the nozzle pushes against the air in the atmosphere, generating lift.

sophiecentaur said:
Perhaps heavier than air flight could be regarded as the plane pushing against the Earth (effectively) - just with a rather bungee substance in between. After all, the weight of the plane (level flight, of course) is ultimately being supported by the Earth's surface.
The airplane does push down on the air of the atmosphere to push itself up and thus will not generate lift in a vacuum. UNLIKE a rocket, which only pushes down on its own exhaust.

A.T. said:
action - reaction : helicopter pushes air down - air pushes helicopter up
Which air? The air that went through the rotor or the air that didn't? That's the point/difference.

russ_watters said:
That isn't what the OP is saying. The OP is saying that the air coming out of the nozzle pushes against the air in the atmosphere, generating lift.

Right... My reply was to your claim that air reaction devices don't push the air. They do.

ModusPwnd said:
Right... My reply was to your claim that air reaction devices don't push the air. They do.
Perhaps the issue is less clear than I realized when talking about vehicles that don't carry their own reaction mass and instead use the air around (above) them. The point in all cases is that the reaction mass - whatever it is - is not pushing on the air below it to support the vehicle.

For air propelled devices, accelerating the air through it, not that air pushing on the air below it, is what causes the lift.

The proof would being in comparing a jet of air from any source in an atmosphere to a similar jet of air in a vacuum. In a vacuum, it accelerates faster and generates more thrust.

1. How did the Apollo Landing Module take off from the moon?

The Apollo Landing Module had a two-stage rocket system. The first stage, called the ascent stage, used its engine to lift off from the surface of the moon. The second stage, called the descent stage, remained on the moon's surface and was used as a launching pad for the ascent stage.

2. How much thrust did the Apollo Landing Module's engine produce?

The Apollo Landing Module's engine produced a maximum thrust of 3,500 pounds. This was enough to lift the ascent stage and its occupants off the moon's surface and into lunar orbit.

3. Did the Apollo astronauts have to manually control the take-off?

No, the take-off was pre-programmed into the Apollo Landing Module's computer. The astronauts only had to monitor the systems and make adjustments if necessary.

4. How long did it take for the Apollo Landing Module to take off from the moon?

The entire take-off process, from engine ignition to reaching lunar orbit, took approximately 7 minutes. However, the astronauts spent several hours preparing and checking systems before the actual take-off.

5. Did the Apollo Landing Module leave any debris on the moon's surface during take-off?

Yes, the take-off of the Apollo Landing Module did leave some debris on the moon's surface. This included the descent stage, which remained on the moon, as well as other equipment and materials that were discarded during the take-off process.