Is having Circuits 2 a corequisite for Signals and Systems viable?

In summary, the person is studying as an EE and is concerned about not being able to get an internship for DSP without taking a DSP class. They are considering taking circuits 2 and differential equations alongside signals and systems to make up for it. They are also looking for advice on whether this is possible and mention that they will be taking DE in parallel with signals and systems. Others suggest learning DE material in advance and mention that a grasp on DFTs and FFTs is necessary for a DSP internship. The person decides to email their professor for permission to take the additional courses.
Elekromatik
Hello all, I am currently studying as an EE and realized I messed up something with my career path. I am not sure if it possible to get an internship at a company for primarily DSP if you haven't taken a DSP class? If not, things could be mended if it were possible to take circuits 2 alongside signals, systems, and transforms. Additionally differential equations will be taken with it. I am assuming there is a standard for the contents of each course, if needed I can put what each class covers at my uni.

If anyone can tell me if this is possible I would greatly appreciate it.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Thinking back to our signals and systems course not having circuits 2 wouldn't have been a big deal. It helped now and then but I'm sure its stuff you could figure out on your own.

However not having DE's that could have been a bit more of a challenge.

I just want to note that he will be taking DE in parralell with signals and systems.
Elekromatik, you may have to learn some DE material a few weeks in advance for your signals class.

I would say for you to get a DSP design internship at the very least you have to have a grasp on DFTs and FFTs. I learned those in signals and systems 2. My signals and systems 1 was all continuous (Fourier transforms, Laplace, etc)

Alright guys, since you say it is doable I'll go ahead and e-mail the professor and see if he'll let me. Thanks!

I would say that having Circuits 2 as a corequisite for Signals and Systems is definitely viable. Both courses cover important concepts in electrical engineering that are essential for understanding and designing systems, including DSP. While it may be possible to get an internship without taking a DSP class, having a strong foundation in circuits and signals is highly recommended for success in the field of DSP.

Taking Circuits 2 alongside Signals and Systems and differential equations is a great way to ensure that you have a solid understanding of the fundamental concepts needed for DSP. It is also important to note that the content covered in each course may vary slightly between universities, but the core concepts should remain the same.

I would recommend speaking with your academic advisor or the professors of these courses to ensure that your course schedule is aligned with your career goals. They may also be able to provide more insight into the specific course content at your university and how it relates to DSP.

In summary, taking Circuits 2 as a corequisite for Signals and Systems is not only viable, but it is also highly beneficial for a career in DSP. It will provide you with a strong foundation of knowledge and skills that will be essential for success in this field.

1. Is Circuits 2 a difficult course?

It depends on the individual's background and aptitude for the subject. However, as a prerequisite for Signals and Systems, it is likely to cover fundamental concepts that are necessary for understanding the latter course.

2. Can I take Signals and Systems without taking Circuits 2?

No, Circuits 2 is listed as a corequisite for a reason. It is important to have a strong foundation in circuit analysis before delving into signals and systems.

3. How are Circuits 2 and Signals and Systems related?

Signals and Systems builds upon the concepts learned in Circuits 2, such as Ohm's Law, Kirchhoff's Laws, and analysis of RLC circuits. These concepts are essential for understanding the behavior of signals and systems.

4. What if I have taken a similar course to Circuits 2 in a different department?

It is best to consult with your academic advisor or the instructor of Signals and Systems to determine if the course you have taken covers the necessary material for the corequisite. It is possible that a substitution may be allowed, but it ultimately depends on the specific curriculum and requirements of your institution.

5. Is it possible to succeed in Signals and Systems without taking Circuits 2?

While it is possible, it may be challenging to fully grasp the concepts and perform well in the course without the foundation provided by Circuits 2. It is recommended to take the corequisite to ensure a better understanding of the subject and improve your chances of success.