Kinetic energy compared to energy making up mass

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between kinetic energy and mass energy and whether they can be compared. It is noted that kinetic energy depends on the speed of an object while mass energy is intrinsic. While the equation E=mc^2 is often used to represent mass energy, it is mentioned that it may not fully express all forms of energy within a mass. The concept of gravity and its effect on the space-time field is also brought up, with a question about whether the energy inside a mass influences the field. The speaker clarifies that the equation E=mc^2 applies to processes such as nuclear fission or fusion, where mass is converted into energy.
sambogrub
I knew this may not be possible, but I was wondering if you can compare kinetic energy with the energy that makes up mass? When I say that, I mean the mass of our atoms that is represented by a quantity of energy.

Physics news on Phys.org
Kinetic energy depends on the speed of the object, mass energy is intrinsic. At ordinary speeds, K.E. = mv2/2 while mass energy is mc2. Since v << c, the conclusion is obvious.

But I had read that the equation E=mc^2 is very vague and cannot completely express energy in a mass. I mean in this question, is the energy we talk about in the above equation the same energy as what is expressed in a velocity equation? I know they are different concepts and different aspects are involved. But I am trying to determine if when you insert energy into a system in the form of thrust, is that energy the same as the energy making up most of the mass of an atom.
Im trying to wrap my mind around gravity and its effects on the space time field. I am wondering if the amount of energy that is inside a mass is what affects the field.

I don't understand most of your comment.
However E = mc2 refers to any process, such as nuclear fission or nuclear fusion where the total mass of the outgoing particles is less than the total mass of the incoming. The mass difference appears as energy, usually in the form of gamma rays. In addition when a particle (such as an electron) annihilates its antiparticle twin (such as a positron) all the mass is converted into energy.

Last edited:

What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is dependent on the mass and velocity of the object.

What is the difference between kinetic energy and energy making up mass?

Kinetic energy is a type of energy that an object possesses due to its motion, while the energy making up mass refers to the energy contained within the particles that make up the object. In other words, kinetic energy is a form of energy that is a result of mass in motion.

How is kinetic energy converted to energy making up mass?

In accordance with Einstein's famous equation, E=mc^2, kinetic energy can be converted into energy making up mass. This conversion happens when an object moves at a velocity close to the speed of light.

What is the relationship between kinetic energy and energy making up mass?

Kinetic energy and energy making up mass are two different forms of energy that are related through Einstein's equation, E=mc^2. Kinetic energy can be converted into energy making up mass, and vice versa, depending on the velocity of the object.

How does kinetic energy compared to energy making up mass differ in terms of practical applications?

The practical applications of kinetic energy and energy making up mass differ significantly. Kinetic energy is commonly used in everyday situations, such as in the movement of objects or the production of electricity. On the other hand, the conversion of kinetic energy into energy making up mass is only observed in extreme conditions, such as in nuclear reactions or particle accelerators.