Debunking the Myth: Can a String of Bucky Balls Stretch to Infinity?

In summary, there was a debate at work about whether a string of bucky balls could be constructed using only the top ball in the chain and allowed to hang. One person believed that an extremely large, but not infinite, number of balls could be used, while the other believed that the mass of the chain below the first ball would eventually overcome the force between the top two balls. It was noted that the strength of the magnets used plays a big role in this scenario. After making some assumptions, it was determined that you could string 950 buckyballs on Earth's surface using magnets with a strength of 2.1lbs.
KamakaziX
We have had a heated debate at work and I feel we need to bring in a few outsiders into help clear things up.

A co-worker of mine believes that if you had a string of bucky balls (small spherical neodymium magnets) held by only the top ball in the chain and allowed to hang such that you could have a string of balls that you would be able to construct "an extremely large number, but not infinite" string of balls (originally he said infinite but then backed down from that statement). He has said that this number is possibly in the thousands or more.

I, however, believe that you would just need enough balls such that the mass of the chain below the first ball would overcome the force between the top two balls in the chain (plus the force from the top 5ish balls or so until the force from the subsequent ball's magnetic field, acting on the top ball, becomes negligible).

Who is more correct? I understand that a lot of this depends greatly on the power of the magnet, but assume that the magnets have a strength 2.1lbs of pull force. Sorry that I can't give you anything more specific I am having trouble determining the strength of the same magnetic balls that we have from manufacturer webpages.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, it all depends on the space you decide to put the buckyballs in, as that would determine the forces acting on them. Making a few really general assumptions, that we are starting at sea level on Earth and that each ball weighs 1 gram. Using F = ma, 2.1 lbs converts to about 9.34 Newtons, so we have 9.34 = m * 9.81. Solving for m gives us .950 kg, so you could string 950 buckyballs at the Earth's surface. From what I've read on the internet the balls have a 5mm diameter so that would be a 4.75 meter string. Rough estimate.

1. What are Bucky Balls?

Bucky Balls are small, spherical magnets made of neodymium, iron, and boron. They are named after the famous architect and inventor Buckminster Fuller.

2. Can a string of Bucky Balls stretch to infinity?

No, it is physically impossible for a string of Bucky Balls to stretch to infinity. While they may seem like they can stretch endlessly due to their small size and strong magnetic properties, they are still bound by the laws of physics.

3. Why is it a myth that a string of Bucky Balls can stretch to infinity?

This myth likely originated from the fact that Bucky Balls have a high tensile strength, meaning they can resist being pulled apart. However, this does not mean they can stretch infinitely, as there are other factors such as gravity and the limitations of the materials that prevent this from happening.

4. Are there any real-world applications for Bucky Balls?

Yes, Bucky Balls have a variety of practical uses in industries such as electronics, medicine, and engineering. They are often used in MRI machines, speakers, and even as a drug delivery system in medicine.

5. Are there any potential dangers associated with Bucky Balls?

Yes, Bucky Balls are small and powerful magnets that can be dangerous if swallowed. They can stick together or to other metal objects in the body, causing serious health issues. It is important to keep them out of reach of children and to seek medical attention if they are accidentally ingested.