Angular acceleration and centri fugal/petal Force

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of centrifugal acceleration on a ball placed at a distance R from one end of a rotating rod with angular acceleration alpha. The tangential force on the ball is calculated and it is suggested that this force should be equal to the centrifugal force when viewed from a rotating frame. The concept of Euler force is also mentioned, which adds to the effects of angular velocity in an inertial frame. Clarification is requested on whether angular velocity or angular acceleration is being referred to.
PhysicsStudnt
Experts,

I need to find out the centrifugal acceleration on a ball of mass m placed at a distance R from one end of the rod, and that end is being pivoted to rotate the rod..Of angular acceleration is alpha, is it correct to say,

Centripetal / centrifugal (in case that the ball remains stationary at the point) = R* (alpha) * M

On calculating the tangential force on the ball, i see a result, F(tangential) = M * R *(alpha)

I strongly feel that, the tangential force that we obtain on viewing the system from an external stationary reference frame, should be exactly same as the centrifugal force when we view it being in the rotating frame. Since i feel that both of the tangential force and the centrifugal force create the same influence but in different frames...

I need a more authentic explanation to it...could someone please explain...

Physics news on Phys.org
You wrote "angular acceleration is alpha". Do you mean angular velocity?

The inertial effects of angular acceleration of the reference frame are called Euler force, which adds to the effects of the angular velocity of the reference frame (centrifugal, Coriolis):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euler_force

PhysicsStudnt said:
I strongly feel that, the tangential force that we obtain on viewing the system from an external stationary reference frame,
If the system has angular acceleration in an inertial frame, then there must a real tangential force that exists in every frame. In the angularly accelerating restframe of the system this real tangential force is balanced by the Euler force.

What is angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration refers to the rate of change of angular velocity, which is the change in rotational speed over time. It is measured in radians per second squared (rad/s²).

What causes angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is caused by a net torque acting on an object. Torque is the force that causes an object to rotate, and a net torque means that there is an unbalanced force causing the object to rotate.

What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is the force that acts on an object moving in a circular path, towards the center of the circle. It is responsible for keeping an object in circular motion and preventing it from flying off in a straight line.

What is centrifugal force?

Centrifugal force is a fictitious force that appears to act on an object moving in a circular path, away from the center of the circle. It is a result of inertia, the tendency of an object to resist changes in its motion.

How are angular acceleration and centripetal force related?

Angular acceleration and centripetal force are directly related to each other. As the angular acceleration increases, so does the centripetal force, and vice versa. This is because an increase in angular acceleration means an increase in rotational speed, which requires a larger centripetal force to maintain the circular motion.