Can Accumulating Charges Be Increased by Placing Machines Underwater?

• Thread starter Axe199
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Charges
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of accumulating more charge in high voltage machines by placing them at the bottom of the sea with water as the surrounding dielectric. The speaker also suggests using other materials like high-vacuum or SF6 gas to suppress sparks in electrostatic particle accelerators. Theoretical options like using a solid material or a perfect vacuum are also mentioned, but deemed unfeasible in reality.
Axe199
I was reading about high voltages machines that accumulate charges and i found out that we can't accumulate much , because eventually the voltage will break down the air near the surface of the sphere ( corona discharge) , what if we put it at the bottom of the sea , where water ( with bigger dielectric strength ) surround the sphere , wouldn't that allow us to accumulate more charge?
( this is a theoretical question , i know it won't work in reality because of the air inside the sphere and the salt in the water and many other reason)

Physics news on Phys.org
Why put it in the sea? Why not a nice pool of distilled water?:wink:

But sure, you could use it to suppress sparks. We could never use it in practise, for much the reasons you've outlined. Water is also heavy!

But! You can do the same trick with high-vacuum or SF6 gas. For example, in electrostatic particle accelerators, the accelerating tube is put inside a large tank of ~100 psi SF6 gas to suppress sparks. In that way, you can get terminal voltages up to 25 MV (the old Oak Ridge tandem accelerator, which I believe was the largest tandem accelerator every built) with ease.

Likes 1 person
e.bar.goum said:
Why put it in the sea? Why not a nice pool of distilled water?:wink:

But sure, you could use it to suppress sparks. We could never use it in practise, for much the reasons you've outlined. Water is also heavy!

But! You can do the same trick with high-vacuum or SF6 gas. For example, in electrostatic particle accelerators, the accelerating tube is put inside a large tank of ~100 psi SF6 gas to suppress sparks. In that way, you can get terminal voltages up to 25 MV (the old Oak Ridge tandem accelerator, which I believe was the largest tandem accelerator every built) with ease.

do you think we can suppress the sparks with solid? like glass , we would have the same problem with the inner surface, but just theoretically.

... I don't see why not? I'm fairly sure it's just the dialetric constant you care about. Completely unfeasable in reality, though, as you point out, which is why gasses are used in practice (even nasty ones like SF6!).

If we're talking theoretically, the best choice would be a perfect vacuum.

but again , perfect vacuum is unfeasable , :D
thanks

1. How can large charges be accumulated?

Large charges can be accumulated through processes such as friction, induction, and contact with charged objects. This leads to an unequal distribution of electrons, resulting in a buildup of charge.

2. What are the dangers of accumulating large charges?

Accumulating large charges can be dangerous as the excess charge can cause high voltage shocks, fires, and damage to electronic devices. It can also lead to lightning strikes and electrical surges.

3. How can large charges be controlled or discharged?

Large charges can be controlled or discharged through grounding, which allows the excess charge to flow to the ground. This can be achieved by using conductive materials or by using devices such as lightning rods.

4. Can large charges be stored for long periods of time?

No, large charges cannot be stored for long periods of time as they tend to dissipate over time. This is due to the repulsion of like charges and the attraction of opposite charges, causing the excess charge to spread out or neutralize.

5. Are there any practical applications for accumulating large charges?

Yes, accumulating large charges has practical applications in various fields such as electrostatic precipitators, which use large charges to remove particles from air. It is also used in photocopiers, printers, and other electronic devices that utilize static electricity.