How can I thin lithium grease for use as a lubricant?

• Thread starter dE_logics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lithium
In summary, to make lithium grease thinner, you can mix it with a compatible solvent such as mineral spirits, kerosene, or turpentine. Water should not be added as it will not mix with the grease and can cause separation. The best solvent to use will depend on your specific application, but it is important to ensure compatibility. There are some risks involved in thinning lithium grease, such as reducing its lubricating ability and potential flammability. To determine if the grease has been thinned enough, check its consistency and lubricating ability on a surface.
dE_logics
Hi!

I was about lubricating my computer fan. The WD40/sewing/machine oil dries up quickly so I was wondering about Lithium grease, but unfortunately it's too thick, and it won't flow into the bearings.

So I was wondering about ways to thin it. I read thinner is good, but can I use WD40 oil too? Finally it contains alcohol.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
WD40 should not be used as a lubricant.

Sewing oil, or any of the other oils that come in a can to apply a drop at a time, such as 3 in 1 Oil, should be OK.

1. How do I make lithium grease thinner?

To make lithium grease thinner, you can mix it with a compatible solvent such as mineral spirits, kerosene, or turpentine. Start by adding a small amount of solvent to the grease and mix thoroughly until you achieve the desired consistency.

2. Can I add water to make lithium grease thinner?

No, you should not add water to lithium grease to make it thinner. Water will not mix with the grease and will cause it to separate, reducing its effectiveness.

3. What is the best solvent to use for thinning lithium grease?

The best solvent to use for thinning lithium grease will depend on your specific application. Mineral spirits, kerosene, and turpentine are all commonly used solvents, but it is important to make sure they are compatible with your specific type of grease.

4. Are there any risks involved in thinning lithium grease?

Yes, there are some risks involved in thinning lithium grease. Adding too much solvent can reduce the grease's ability to lubricate and protect surfaces. Additionally, some solvents can be flammable and should be used with caution.

5. How can I tell if I have thinned the lithium grease enough?

You can tell if you have thinned the lithium grease enough by checking its consistency. The grease should be thin enough to easily spread but still have enough viscosity to stay in place. You can also test it by applying a small amount to a surface and checking its lubricating ability.