Calculating the 'Kicking Out' Force in Toppling Objects

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the force created when an object topples over and how to determine this force using Newton's Laws of motion. The use of a free-body diagram and energy approach are also mentioned as helpful tools in solving the problem. A spreadsheet is attached for confirmation of the calculations.
derryck1234
Hi. I am trying to calculate the 'kicking out' force created when an object topples over. Attached is a picture of what I mean. The body in the picture topples in a clockwise direction as shown, with its initial pivot point at 'a'. The centre of gravity of the body is shown as cg.

Now I have been told that there is a force that causes the rod to kick back from this pivot position due to the centre of gravity that 'wants' to fall straight down. How would I work this out?
Falling rod.jpg

Engineering news on Phys.org
These are the kinds of problems which are analyzed by applying Newton's Laws of motion to the toppling structure; i.e., that's why you took a dynamics class in college.

As with any problem involving statics or dynamics, start with a free-body diagram and determine what forces and moments are acting on the structure when it is at an arbitrary angle. It's not clear from you diagram how the process of toppling gets started.

Answer so far

Hi. The body is started by applying a horizontal force at the top until the body's centre of gravity causes it to topple, from this point gravity takes over.

My colleague in the office worked on it and made a spreadsheet. We would just like to confirm whether our thinking is correct. The spreadsheet is attached. It uses the energy approach in the first tab and the equations of motion in the second.

Regards

DerryckView attachment Falling Tower Forces.xlsx

1. What is a toppling body kick out force?

A toppling body kick out force is a measure of the force required to cause an object to fall or topple over, typically due to an external force acting on it.

2. How is the toppling body kick out force calculated?

The toppling body kick out force is calculated by taking into account the mass, height, and center of mass of the object, as well as the direction and magnitude of the external force acting on it.

3. What factors can affect the toppling body kick out force?

The toppling body kick out force can be affected by the shape, weight, and distribution of weight of the object, as well as the surface it is placed on and the direction and magnitude of the external force.

4. What is the significance of the toppling body kick out force in engineering and design?

The toppling body kick out force is an important factor to consider in engineering and design, as it can help determine the stability and safety of structures and objects. It is especially important in designing structures that are prone to tipping or toppling, such as tall buildings or structures in areas prone to earthquakes.

5. How can the toppling body kick out force be minimized?

The toppling body kick out force can be minimized by ensuring that the object or structure is well balanced and has a low center of mass, as well as by using materials with appropriate strength and stability. Additionally, proper anchoring and bracing can help reduce the likelihood of toppling.