Current density in graphene-giant?

In summary, the conversation discusses a paper on graphene's basic properties, specifically the current density equation J=q*n*v and its values for graphene. The question is whether the value of J=100A/cm is realistic and if there is any intuition behind graphene's properties.
carbon9
Hi,

I just read a paper on graphene's basic properties and it says that since current density J is given as

J=q*n*v

where q is the elementary charge, n is the electron density and v is the Fermi velocity of electrons and for graphene n=6*10^12 cm^-2 and v=10^8 cm/s, the current density in graphene is giant as J=100A/cm. It doesn't sound right. Is it a realistic value for J? Or what can I do to correctly interpret this?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not generating any responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us? Any new findings?

Bumping this because I'm interested in the answer too. (Will be starting a project with graphene soon)

Also, if anyone replies - is there an intuition behind graphene's basic properties? Right now I'm not really getting why graphene is the way it is.

1. What is current density in graphene-giant?

Current density in graphene-giant refers to the amount of electrical current that can flow through a unit area of graphene-giant material. It is a measure of the intensity of the electric current and is typically represented as amps per square meter (A/m2).

2. How is current density in graphene-giant measured?

Current density in graphene-giant can be measured using various techniques such as four-point probe measurements or Hall effect measurements. These methods involve passing a known current through the material and measuring the resulting voltage to calculate the current density.

3. What factors affect the current density in graphene-giant?

The current density in graphene-giant can be affected by various factors such as the thickness and quality of the graphene-giant material, the applied voltage, and the temperature. Other factors like defects or impurities in the material can also impact the current density.

4. How does current density in graphene-giant compare to other materials?

Graphene-giant has a very high current density compared to other materials. Its unique structure and properties allow for efficient charge transport, making it highly desirable for electronic and optoelectronic applications.

5. What are the potential applications of high current density in graphene-giant?

The high current density in graphene-giant makes it a promising material for various applications, such as high-speed transistors, flexible electronic devices, and energy storage devices. It also has potential uses in sensors, solar cells, and biomedical devices.