Is it at all possible to live after drinking bleach?

• Thread starter Ms Music
  • Start date
In summary: It is important to seek medical attention immediately after ingesting bleach.In summary, a person who ingested a large amount of bleach, along with pills, was found and resuscitated by medics. It is possible for her to survive and heal, as household bleach is only mildly toxic and the person may have vomited some of it out. However, the damage to the person's insides may still be severe and medical attention should be sought immediately.
Ms Music
Is it at all possible to live after drinking bleach? A friend of a friend of a friend... tried to kill herself with a bag of pills and a bottle of bleach. Medics found her and resuscitated her, she has been in the hospital in critical care for about 12 hours. I am wondering if it is at all possible for her to live and heal, or will her insides eventually rot? I guess she vomited on all the medics when she was revived, not sure if that is beneficial or not to the story as it would burn everything a second time.

Remember, this isn't someone I know, so advice won't help. I just want to know if anyone has lived through something like this. I have no idea what quantity was, or what pills she took.

Thanks in advance!

Biology news on Phys.org
This cites the LD50 for sodium hypochlorite (the active ingredient in household bleach) as 5800mg/kg for rats.
http://www.sciencelab.com/msds.php?msdsId=9925000 LD50 means the dose in mg required to kill 50% of the subjects given the chemical in question. Assuming rats and humans respond about the same way.

So the person swallowed about 1 quart of 5% bleach solution. One quart of water is ~943g, so let's assume 5% of the mass is from sodium hypochlorite. That gives about 48g of sodium hypochlorite; divide by 5.8 gives about 8.1 kg. Assume the woman was 50kg. She got enough chemical to be fatal maybe 1 time in 10.

However.

Vomiting reduced the dose as well. The side effects of lesser doses include severe nausea and damage to epithelial linings (stomach, esophagus, and mouth burns).

I did not find any clinical data for people, just severe warnings. For dogs:
http://veterinarymedicine.dvm360.com/vetmed/Medicine/ArticleStandard/Article/detail/483498

Someone else may be able to find some clinical data.

Basically it is hard to kill yourself outright with a dose of 5% bleach solution.

This gives some info on exposure.
http://www.hpa.org.uk/webc/HPAwebFile/HPAweb_C/1194947380553

It says ingestion of up to up to 200ml for adults / 50ml for children of <10% solution usually has minimal effect.

The paper falls in with what Jim stated, that it is mildly toxic as a houshold bleach solution.

Thank you Jim and 256. That was interesting to read. I had no idea that bleach would be basically "mildly toxic". But then for that matter, I had never heard of it being used for suicide either. I can be rather naive at times. All I know is how difficult it is to wash off your hands, so it must stick to the insides pretty well also.

The last I heard a few days ago, she did live through the weekend, and they were going to release her Monday or Tuesday. I assume by now she has been released, but I have no idea.

This is a case where 'the dose makes the poison'. Because household bleach is rather dilute, the damage if taken internally is minimal if proper treatment is rendered immediately. If a stronger solution of sodium hypochlorite had been ingested, the damage could have been more serious, even with prompt treatment.

1. Can drinking bleach kill you?

Yes, drinking bleach can be lethal. Bleach is a strong chemical that can cause severe damage to the body if ingested, including burns to the mouth, throat, and stomach. It can also lead to difficulty breathing and even organ failure.

2. Is it possible to survive drinking bleach?

While it is possible to survive drinking bleach, it is not recommended or guaranteed. The severity of the damage depends on the amount of bleach consumed, the concentration of the bleach, and the individual's overall health. It is important to seek immediate medical attention if you or someone you know has ingested bleach.

3. How much bleach is too much to drink?

Any amount of bleach is too much to drink. Even a small amount can cause significant damage to the body. It is important to keep bleach and other household chemicals out of reach of children and to always follow product safety guidelines.

4. What are the symptoms of bleach poisoning?

The symptoms of bleach poisoning may include vomiting, diarrhea, difficulty breathing, burns in the mouth and throat, and changes in behavior or mental state. In severe cases, it can also cause shock, seizures, and coma. If you or someone you know is experiencing these symptoms after ingesting bleach, seek medical attention immediately.

5. Can drinking bleach be used as a cure for any diseases?

No, drinking bleach is not a cure for any diseases. In fact, it can be extremely harmful to the body and can lead to serious health complications. There is no scientific evidence to support the use of bleach as a treatment for any diseases, and it should never be ingested for this purpose.