Radioactivite decay variance due to distance from the sun?

In summary, the article discusses fluctuations in radioactive decay rates in relation to the rotation and distance from the sun. It is possible that this effect could be detected using data from temperature, power output, or deceleration effects. However, I believe that this is another Fischbach Effect, and has not been replicated yet.
Whyisthat21
Hello! I'm not entirely sure this is very "scientific", but I have an idea that I would like some feedback on. I remember reading an article related to radioactive decay varying with the rotation and distance from the sun on Phys.org a few years back (http://phys.org/news202456660.html) and was pretty intrigued by the idea. They state the fluctuation is roughly a "tenth of a percent", which is pretty uneventful in the large scale of daily life. In a seemingly unrelated story about the Pioneer Anomaly (http://phys.org/news/2012-07-source-anomaly.html) I had a theory that could possibly be tested. Perhaps radioactivity is more variable than we understand since we have a pretty steady distance from the sun, and also are under the influence of the heliosphere at all times. My question or idea or hypothesis is: could we use the data from either the temperature, power output, or maybe the deceleration effect of the radioactive thermoelectric generators on board the viking spacecraft (s) to calculate any statistically significant fluctuations in the decay rates near the edge of the solar system? And would it be useful? Just a thought I've had for a while; I thought maybe someone had some input or solid reasoning that will get this out of my 'hypothesis box'.

Physics news on Phys.org
This was discussed here when it first came out.

At the time, I said:

I think it's far more likely that the authors are observing a seasonal variation in detector performance.

There are two things in the back of my mind when I read this. One is that the authors were re-analyzing someone else's data: they weren't there when it was taken. That immediately puts them at a disadvantage. (In fact, it's even possible that this effect was noticed by the original experimenters, and the reason identified).

The other is that Fischbach has a track record of finding dramatic new physics effects in other people's data - effects that subsequently are shown not to exist.

I still believe that. The fact that in 6 years nobody has been able to duplicate the effect is also strong evidence that this was another Fischbach Fluke.

As for Pioneer and Voyager, this would predict a ~5% effect in the power output. I suspect, but do not know, that this would be detectable, particularly since there are four probes.

They would need a poor power monitoring if 5% more or less energy would not be seen in some way. As an example, in 2008, NASA quoted the electric power as 285W for Voyager 1 and 287W for Voyager 2. They don't write it explicitly, but that looks like they see a difference between the two values so at least the electric power is known to 1% or better.

Thanks for the link Vanadium! Helpful stuff there.

1. What is radioactivity decay variance?

Radioactivity decay variance refers to the change in the rate of decay of a radioactive substance due to external factors such as distance from the sun.

2. How does distance from the sun affect radioactivity decay?

The intensity of radiation from the sun can affect the stability of atomic nuclei and therefore impact the rate of decay of radioactive substances. The closer a substance is to the sun, the more intense the radiation and the faster the decay rate.

3. Is there a specific distance from the sun where radioactivity decay is most affected?

Yes, there is a specific distance from the sun where radioactivity decay is most affected. This distance is known as the solar radiation belt, which is about 8.5 million miles from the sun's surface. At this distance, the intensity of solar radiation is strongest and can cause significant changes in the decay rate of radioactive substances.

4. Can radioactivity decay be completely stopped by moving away from the sun?

No, radioactivity decay cannot be completely stopped by moving away from the sun. While distance can affect the decay rate, it is not the only factor that influences decay. Other factors such as the half-life of the substance and the type of radiation emitted also play a role in the overall decay process.

5. Are there any benefits to studying radioactivity decay variance due to distance from the sun?

Studying radioactivity decay variance can provide insights into the behavior of radioactive substances and how they interact with external factors. This information can be useful in various fields, such as nuclear energy and environmental science, to better understand the effects of radiation and how to mitigate its potential risks.