How does exposure time affect motion blur in photography?

The effect of motion blur is achieved by the sensor capturing the movement of objects during that time. In summary, the shutter speed on a digital camera, like on a film camera, determines whether the image will be frozen or have a motion blur effect. The sensor is only sampled once and the resulting image is a result of the collected photons during that time.
Goodver
Suppose we want to take a picture of a highway at night, see attachments.

As far as i understood, whether image is freezed or with this blured moving effect determines by the shutter speed. Short exposure time corresponds to freezed picture, long expisure time to motion effect.

I don't understand how the expossure time corresponds to final image. Image sensor get sampled multiple times and then avarage result delivers as a final picture? If so, then how the motion blur effect is done in analog cameras.

Or image sensor get sampled only once? In this case all images suppose to be freezed images, as you sample the particular current on photodiodes at the particular time of sampling.

Attachments

• 400px-E17_-_lange_sluitertijd.JPG
    400px-E17_-_lange_sluitertijd.JPG
    19.6 KB · Views: 437
  • 400px-E17_-_korte_sluitertijd.JPG
    400px-E17_-_korte_sluitertijd.JPG
    17.1 KB · Views: 444
Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
The sensor is only sampled once. The "shutter speed" on a digital camera is equivalent to that on a film camera: the sensor collects photons for the pre-determined time, then then the result is read.

1. What is motion blur in photography?

Motion blur in photography is the effect of capturing a moving subject with a longer exposure time, resulting in a blurred or streaked appearance in the final image. It can also occur when the camera or subject is in motion during the exposure.

2. How can I prevent motion blur in my photos?

To prevent motion blur, you can use a faster shutter speed to freeze the movement of your subject. You can also use a tripod to stabilize the camera and reduce any unintentional movement. Additionally, using a higher ISO or a wider aperture can help increase the shutter speed and reduce the chance of motion blur.

3. Can motion blur be intentional in photography?

Yes, motion blur can be used as a creative technique in photography. It can add a sense of movement or energy to a photo, and can be used to convey a certain mood or emotion. It is often seen in sports or action photography, but can also be used in other genres such as street or landscape photography.

4. How do I achieve a desired amount of motion blur in my photos?

The amount of motion blur in a photo is affected by various factors such as shutter speed, subject movement, and camera settings. To achieve a desired amount of motion blur, you may need to experiment with different combinations of these factors and adjust them accordingly. For example, a slower shutter speed and a panning technique can create a more pronounced motion blur, while a faster shutter speed and a stationary subject can result in a subtle blur.

5. Can motion blur be corrected in post-processing?

In some cases, it is possible to reduce or remove motion blur in post-processing using editing software. However, the effectiveness of this depends on the severity of the blur and the quality of the original image. It is always best to try to capture a sharp image in-camera, but post-processing techniques can be used as a last resort if needed.