Battery Capacity Loss: Noob Ques. Answered

In summary, Polymer ion batteries are designed to be discharged and charged consecutively, but there are some products that can rapidly alternate between the two. The direction of the current determines if a cell is being charged or discharged. There are two strategies that could be compared for prolonging battery life - fully charging and discharging, or partial charging and discharging. The latter may be slightly better for Li-Poly batteries as it increases the number of cycles. However, disconnecting the charger before the battery is fully charged and using a less powerful charger may also extend battery life. The use of the battery while it is charging may also involve discharging and charging cycles.
Alex Jong
Hello i have a noobquestion: does a polymer ion battery lose capacity faster when charged and discharged at the same time??

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, they are designed to be discharged and charged consecutively.

TESL@ said:
Yes, they are designed to be discharged and charged consecutively.

However, there are some products that do this.

How is it possible to charge and discharge a battery at the same time? Current is either entering or leaving the battery (or neither).

Current flows through the cells.

It's the direction of the current that determines if a cell is being charged or discharged.

If current is flowing out of the +ve and into the -ve it's being discharged. If it's into the +ve and out of the -ve it's being charged.

In both cases current is flowing "through the cells" so I don't follow your answer.

CWatters said:
How is it possible to charge and discharge a battery at the same time? Current is either entering or leaving the battery (or neither).

I suspect he means rapid alternations between discharge and charging as in some electronic equipment that has batteries but also operates from a plug-in power supply like a common "wall wart".

It may also be reference to the nature of some batteries to act as if they have a memory of Charged and Discharged states. With some batteries, at the very least in the beginning of service, they should be fully discharged before they are fully charged or a loss in capacity occurs.

I agree that's probably what the OP meant.

I guess there are two strategies that could be compared...

1) Fully charging and then "fully" discharging
2) Partial charging and partial discharging

As I understand it the life of Li-Poly depends on the depth of discharge so I would expect option 2) to be slightly better.

See Table 2: "Cycle life as a function of depth of discharge"

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

Compare 100% DOD with 50% DOD. Sure in the case of 50% DOD each cycle only delivers half of the cell capacity per cycle but you get more than double the number of cycles (1200-1500) compared to a 100% DOD (300-500).

If you take that further and only use a 25% DOD each cycle delivers only a quarter of the capacity but the number of cycles is more than 4 times (2000-2500).

So it looks like keeping it topped up and doing only shallow discharge cycles is the way to go. However I think it's more complicated than that. For example other data on that pages suggests disconnecting the charger before the battery is fully charged might extend the number of cycles the battery can perform.

Some chargers are also more powerful than others. One I have that can deliver 2A. That might be enough to charge and power the phone so it's not clear that using the phone while on charge involves any discharging of the battery. The original charger was only 500mA and it's possible the battery might switch from charging to discharging and back again depending on what application I was running.

1. What is battery capacity loss?

Battery capacity loss refers to the gradual decrease in the amount of charge a battery can hold over time. This is a natural process that occurs as a battery is used and recharged.

2. What causes battery capacity loss?

There are several factors that can contribute to battery capacity loss, including usage patterns, temperature, and age. The more a battery is used and recharged, the more it will experience capacity loss. Extreme temperatures, both hot and cold, can also accelerate this process. Additionally, as a battery ages, its capacity will naturally decrease.

3. How can I prevent battery capacity loss?

While it is inevitable that a battery will experience some capacity loss over time, there are steps you can take to slow down this process. This includes avoiding extreme temperatures, not overcharging or fully draining the battery, and using the battery regularly rather than letting it sit idle for long periods of time.

4. Can battery capacity loss be reversed?

No, battery capacity loss is a permanent process and cannot be reversed. However, taking care of your battery and following best practices can help slow down the rate of capacity loss.

5. How do I know when my battery needs to be replaced?

As a battery experiences capacity loss, it will not be able to hold as much charge as it used to. This means that the battery will need to be charged more frequently or may not last as long on a single charge. When this becomes significantly noticeable and starts to impact the functionality of your device, it may be time to replace the battery.