Calculating speed of specific Rising Gas

In summary, you are looking to calculate the speed of a gas as it rises in a confined space. You would need to include the gas's diameter, height, and temperature. You would also need to specify the boundary conditions, such as whether the gas is in a liquid or a gas.
KyleKidd
Hello everyone. I am a college graduate perusing independent research of my own. I'm trying to figure out how to calculate how fast a specific gas (hydrogen) will rise from an initial velocity of 0 in room air and temperature.

Basically, I'm trying to figure out how fast hydrogen would be traveling as it rose in a cylinder after electrolysis per given distance (do gasses reach terminal velocity?).

Also, it would be helpful to be able to calculate the speed in a heavier gas if my experiment called for using a more inert gas.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is there an equation for calculating the speed of a rising gas? Despite my best effort, I cannot find any material on it. Perhaps I am using invalid search parameters. Any help?

KyleKidd said:
Hello everyone. I am a college graduate perusing independent research of my own. I'm trying to figure out how to calculate how fast a specific gas (hydrogen) will rise from an initial velocity of 0 in room air and temperature.

Basically, I'm trying to figure out how fast hydrogen would be traveling as it rose in a cylinder after electrolysis per given distance (do gasses reach terminal velocity?).

Also, it would be helpful to be able to calculate the speed in a heavier gas if my experiment called for using a more inert gas.

KyleKidd said:
Is there an equation for calculating the speed of a rising gas? Despite my best effort, I cannot find any material on it. Perhaps I am using invalid search parameters. Any help?

Welcome to the PF.

Since you mention electrolysis, should we assume that you are asking how fast the hydrogen and oxygen bubbles rise through the water at the bottom of the tubes?

Thank you for the warm welcome.

Your assumption would be incorrect. I am interested in how fast hydrogen would rise in air. The only reason I mentioned electrolysis was for context.

Basically, I want to know how fast I could expect hydrogen to rise straight upwards if confined to a cylinder of room air.

The diameter of the cylinder, height of measurement, and air temperature would all be great variables to include in the equation I'm looking for.

Also, I may be interested in substituting normal atmospheric air with a heavier elemental gas. Possibly to increase buoyancy of the hydrogen as it rose, or to substitute air with a less reactive gas.

KyleKidd said:
Thank you for the warm welcome.

Your assumption would be incorrect. I am interested in how fast hydrogen would rise in air. The only reason I mentioned electrolysis was for context.

Basically, I want to know how fast I could expect hydrogen to rise straight upwards if confined to a cylinder of room air.

The diameter of the cylinder, height of measurement, and air temperature would all be great variables to include in the equation I'm looking for.

KyleKidd said:
Also, I may be interested in substituting normal atmospheric air with a heavier elemental gas. Possibly to increase buoyancy of the hydrogen as it rose, or to substitute air with a less reactive gas.

Bubbles in a liquid would probably be easier, but in the general case, maybe not.

Can you say more about what you want to simulate? There aren't any simple "formulas" for general cases of mixing gasses. You would usually use simulation software to try to approximate those flow rates.

What are the boundary conditions? What laminar flow / FEA simulation software do you have access to?

1. What is the formula for calculating the speed of a specific rising gas?

The formula for calculating the speed of a specific rising gas is speed = distance/time. This means that to find the speed, you need to divide the distance the gas rises by the time it takes to rise.

2. How do you measure the distance a rising gas travels?

The distance a rising gas travels can be measured using a ruler or measuring tape. You can also use a measuring wheel or a laser rangefinder for more accurate measurements.

3. How do you measure the time it takes for a gas to rise?

The time it takes for a gas to rise can be measured using a stopwatch or a timer. You can also use a computer program or app that can accurately measure time.

4. What units should be used for the distance and time in the speed formula?

The units for distance and time in the speed formula should be consistent. For example, if the distance is measured in meters, then the time should be measured in seconds. This will give the speed in meters per second (m/s).

5. Are there any factors that can affect the speed of a specific rising gas?

Yes, there are several factors that can affect the speed of a specific rising gas. These include temperature, pressure, and the density of the gas. Wind speed and direction can also impact the speed of a rising gas.