How relevant is the Feynman's Lectures on Physics?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relevance of Feynman's Lectures on Physics and whether they have been modified to reflect new knowledge. The speaker notes that the lectures are still valuable for learning problem-solving techniques and that the physics discussed in them are still valid. They also provide a link to a discussion on the topic for further information.
mrhoneycinnamo
Hi,so I've just started reading the Feynman's Lectures on Physics on my own recently.By the end of chapter 2, volume 1, it says "This then, is the horrible condition of our physics today.To summarise it, I would say this:eek:utside the nucleus, we seem to know all; inside it,quantum mechanics is valid--the principles of quantum mechanics have not been found to fail...but we really do not know how far we have yet to go in this task.". Here I can't help but keep wondering how many things we STILL do not know as time progressed since Feynman said it. I know the FLP was first published many years ago(i don't know when) and things may have changed since then.Do they modify the FLP according to our new knowledge or do they keep FLP untouched just like the first copy?Can anyone tell me please?:confused:

PS: pardon my poor english, i am not a native english speaker

Physics news on Phys.org
thanks for your reply!

1. How relevant is the Feynman's Lectures on Physics in today's world?

Despite being published in the early 1960s, the Feynman's Lectures on Physics are still highly relevant in today's scientific world. The concepts and principles discussed in the lectures are fundamental and timeless, and have formed the basis of modern physics.

2. Are the Feynman's Lectures suitable for beginners in physics?

The Feynman's Lectures are not intended for complete beginners in physics, as they assume a basic understanding of mathematics and physics concepts. However, they are often recommended as a supplemental resource for students studying introductory physics courses.

3. How does the Feynman's Lectures differ from other physics textbooks?

The Feynman's Lectures are known for their unique and engaging style of teaching, with a focus on explaining complex concepts in a simple and intuitive way. They also cover a wide range of topics in physics, making them a comprehensive resource for understanding the fundamental principles of the subject.

4. Can the Feynman's Lectures be used as a reference for advanced physics topics?

While the Feynman's Lectures are primarily targeted towards undergraduate students, they can also be used as a reference for more advanced topics in physics. The lectures cover a broad range of subjects, including quantum mechanics, relativity, and thermodynamics, making them a valuable resource for any physicist.

5. Are the Feynman's Lectures still used in universities and research institutions?

Yes, the Feynman's Lectures are still widely used in universities and research institutions around the world. They are considered a classic and timeless resource in the field of physics and are often recommended by professors and researchers to supplement traditional textbooks.