Theoretical methods to achieve high resolution heating or irradiation?

In summary, the speaker is seeking suggestions for a method to heat an area of 5 nm in diameter. They have considered laser radiation but it may not be possible due to limitations of wavelength. They also mention alternative options such as electron beam lithography and creating a radial temperature gradient. They welcome any ideas or suggestions and are open to chemical solutions. The conversation also touches on using synchrotron radiation, free-electron lasers, and scanning tunnel microscopes for precision heating. The speaker also questions why the heating needs to take place in space and what exactly needs to be heated.
CFlower
Hi all,

I've been toying with an idea lately and I'm wondering if any of you could help me out. Is there any method you know of to heat an area roughly 5 nm in diameter? I've thought about laser radiation for a while, but of course we are limited by wavelength. 5 nm would force us into the x-ray or gamma range, so I still don't know if that's possible. I've never heard of a beam width that was 5 nm either, I assume that's borderline impossible to do in space (maybe in a fiber optic cable it would be doable? I do not know.)

I know certain optical lithography techniques can create features with resolution a fraction of wavelength, but my understanding was most of them still produced things on the order of >45 nm. I've heard things about electron beam lithography. That seemed at least possible (but that brings us to the next problem, it seems very very expensive and not terrible feasible.)

Something with a radial temperature gradient could work. If a central area (5 nm in diameter) was notably hotter than the next ring out (say, 5-10nm diameter) then that might work, as there is a threshold I'm dealing with here and it does not matter if external regions are lower than it.

Any ideas? Maybe something chemical... I'm not sure. All suggestions and musings are very welcome and appreciated.

Thanks for your help,
C.

Science news on Phys.org
If the threshold is very sharp and you know the thermal properties very well, conventional optical lithography could work - the central spot still gets a higher intensity and less heat flow outwards.

Electron and ion beams can be precise enough. Both are available as commercial products.

Synchrotron radiation and free-electron lasers can provide UV/X-rays with a very good brilliance, sending them through a tiny pinhole could work.

Scanning tunnel microscopes can deliver a small, well-located current, I don't know if it would be strong enough for your required heating power.

Can you deliver some chemical directly to the spot you want to heat? If yes, find something with a nice absorption line and use this for selective heating.

Why in space? And what do you want to heat?

1. What are some common theoretical methods used to achieve high resolution heating or irradiation?

Some common theoretical methods used to achieve high resolution heating or irradiation include finite element analysis, Monte Carlo simulations, and computational fluid dynamics.

2. How do finite element analysis and Monte Carlo simulations differ in their approach to high resolution heating or irradiation?

Finite element analysis uses mathematical models to simulate the behavior of a system under specified conditions, while Monte Carlo simulations use random sampling techniques to calculate the behavior of a system.

3. What factors should be considered when selecting a theoretical method for high resolution heating or irradiation?

Factors to consider include the complexity of the system, the accuracy and precision needed, and the availability of software and computational resources.

4. How can theoretical methods be used to optimize heating or irradiation processes?

Theoretical methods can be used to predict the behavior of a system, allowing for the optimization of parameters such as temperature, duration, and intensity of heating or irradiation.

5. Are there any limitations to using theoretical methods for high resolution heating or irradiation?

Some limitations include the assumptions made in the model, which may not accurately reflect real-world conditions, and the need for accurate input data and parameters. Additionally, theoretical methods may not account for all possible variables and can only provide predictions based on the information provided.