Describing vectors in a different coordinate system

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem in a textbook about obtaining vectors in a rotated coordinate system using unit vectors. The derived arguments for the unit vectors involve trigonometric ratios and can be visualized using geometry. Wikipedia provides a matrix for transforming vectors from xy to x'y' and the signs may need to be adjusted.
Mr Davis 97
The problem I am having is a problem in my textbook. It says that if we have xy Cartesian coordinate system, and if we then have a rotated coordinate system x'y', then to get the vector in the x'y' in terms of the xy system, we use the following arguments for the unit vectors:

i' = icos[itex]\Phi[/itex] + jsin[itex]\Phi[/itex]

j' = jcos[itex]\Phi[/itex] - isin[itex]\Phi[/itex]

I don't understand how this was derived, or where it came from. I try to use the right-angle definition for trig ratios, but I keep getting different numbers, and don't see how this relation is true. I would really appreciate it if somebody could provide a simple explanation.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Mr Davis 97 said:
The problem I am having is a problem in my textbook. It says that if we have xy Cartesian coordinate system, and if we then have a rotated coordinate system x'y', then to get the vector in the x'y' in terms of the xy system, we use the following arguments for the unit vectors:

i' = icos[itex]\Phi[/itex] + jsin[itex]\Phi[/itex]

j' = jcos[itex]\Phi[/itex] - isin[itex]\Phi[/itex]

I don't understand how this was derived, or where it came from. I try to use the right-angle definition for trig ratios, but I keep getting different numbers, and don't see how this relation is true. I would really appreciate it if somebody could provide a simple explanation.

The derivation is mostly a matter of geometry. Perhaps this figure can clear things up:

RotateAroundZaxis.gif

Wikipedia has an article on coordinate rotation

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coordinate_rotation

midway down in the "two Dimensions" topic they show a matrix that transforms a vector from xy to x'y'

In your case, I think you have the signs mixed up ie

i' = i cos phi - j sin phi

and

j' = i sin phi + j cos phi

1. What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical object that has both magnitude (size) and direction. It is often represented as an arrow in a coordinate system.

2. How do you describe a vector in a different coordinate system?

To describe a vector in a different coordinate system, you need to use a transformation matrix. This matrix allows you to convert the coordinates of the vector from one system to another.

3. What is a transformation matrix?

A transformation matrix is a matrix that can be used to transform the coordinates of a vector from one coordinate system to another. It is usually represented as a 2x2 or 3x3 matrix and is specific to the type of transformation (e.g. rotation, translation, scaling) that needs to be applied.

4. Can you give an example of describing a vector in a different coordinate system?

Sure, let's say we have a vector with coordinates (2,3) in a Cartesian coordinate system. To convert it to polar coordinates, we would use the transformation matrix [cos θ -sin θ; sin θ cos θ] and multiply it by the vector. This would give us the new coordinates (3.61, 0.98) in polar coordinates.

5. Why is it important to be able to describe vectors in different coordinate systems?

Being able to describe vectors in different coordinate systems allows us to analyze and understand their properties in different contexts. It also helps us to solve problems more efficiently by choosing the most appropriate coordinate system for a given situation. Additionally, many physical laws and equations are expressed in terms of vectors, so being able to transform them into different coordinate systems is essential for scientific research and engineering applications.