Ratios & Fractions: Understanding the Relationship

In summary, ratios can be written as fractions because they both represent a comparison between two quantities. When we write a ratio, we are expressing the relative magnitudes of two quantities, which can also be represented as a fraction. Both forms have the same meaning, just in different formats.
Miraj Kayastha
Why can ratios be written as fractions?

if there are 5 men in 20 people the ratio of men to total people is 5:20 which is 1:4.

But when we write 1/4 it gives 0.25. And 0.25 means the magnitude of each part when 1 is divided into 4 equal parts.

So how does ratio and fraction give a same meaning? Please explain it to me.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I'm not quite sure what you're asking. A ratio is defined, per Wiktionary, as

ratio (plural ratios)

1. A number representing a comparison between two things.
2. (arithmetic) The relative magnitudes of two quantities (usually expressed as a quotient).
3. (law) Short for ratio decidendi.

Clearly, the second definition is the best used here. If there are 5 men in 20 people, then we can say that on average, 0.25, or 25% of all people are men. That's just another way of saying 25 men for every 100 people, though, which is similar to the 5 in 20 example.

Sorry, I'm probably not making much sense, but the question is an odd one.

1. What is the difference between a ratio and a fraction?

A ratio represents the relationship between two quantities, while a fraction represents a part of a whole. Ratios can be written as 1:2 or 1/2, while fractions are written as 1/2.

2. How do I simplify a ratio or fraction?

To simplify a ratio, divide both numbers by their greatest common factor. To simplify a fraction, divide the numerator and denominator by their greatest common factor.

3. What is the relationship between ratios and proportions?

Ratios and proportions are closely related. A proportion is an equation that states that two ratios are equal. Ratios can be used to solve proportions, and proportions can be used to solve problems involving ratios.

4. How can I use ratios and fractions in real life?

Ratios and fractions are used in everyday life, such as cooking, budgeting, and measuring. They can also be used in more complex situations, such as in statistics and finance.

5. What is the importance of understanding the relationship between ratios and fractions?

Understanding the relationship between ratios and fractions is important because it allows us to accurately compare and work with different quantities. It also helps in problem solving and understanding proportions in various contexts.