Understanding Vectors: Unit Vectors vs Kinematic Equations

• Thread starter Mr Davis 97
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vectors
In summary, the two equations are both related to describing an object's position with time, but one is for constant velocity while the other is for constant acceleration. The use of unit vectors in the first equation is just a different way of expressing the motion.
Mr Davis 97
I am a little confused about how exactly vectors are used. For example, if we had the two statements

[itex]\vec{r} = 3\hat{i}t + 4\hat{j}t[/itex]

and

[itex]\vec{r} = \frac{1}{2}\vec{a}t^{2} + \vec{v_{o}}t + \vec{x_{o}}[/itex]

What is the difference between the two equations (assuming they are both true)? I know that one uses unit vectors and one is a kinematic equation, but I just don't understand the difference between the two, as they both seemingly relate the object's position with time. Why use one over the other? If we have unit vectors, why do we have equations like the one below it? If anybody could clear this up, I would appreciate it.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Okay, well first of all look at the first equation, which is expressed using unit vectors:

[itex]\vec{r} = 3\hat{i}t + 4\hat{j}t[/itex]

All this is telling you is that the position vector [itex]\vec{r} = \vec{r}(t)[/itex] is some linear function of time. Another common way to write the above equation is

[itex]\vec{r} = (3, 4) t = \vec{v}t[/itex],

which is just motion with the constant velocity ##\vec{v} (3, 4) = 3\hat{i} + 4\hat{j}##, where the motion starts from the initial position ##\vec{r}(0) = \vec{0}##.

The next equation:

[itex]\vec{r} = \frac{1}{2}\vec{a}t^{2} + \vec{v_{o}}t + \vec{x_{o}}[/itex]

also describes motion, but for the case of a constant acceleration ##\vec{a}##. An initial velocity ## \vec{v_{o}}## and an initial position ## \vec{v_{o}}## are also specified.

If the velocity is constant (##\vec{v} = \vec{v_{o}}## for all time) then that means ##\vec{a} =0##, and the equation reduces to

[itex]\vec{r}(t) = \vec{v}t + \vec{x_{o}}[/itex].

If the starting position ##\vec{x_{o}} = \vec{0}##, then it becomes exactly the same as the first equation above. So actually the first equation (constant velocity, starting point ##\vec{0}##) is just a special case of the second equation (constant acceleration, some starting point possibly not at the origin).

Likes 1 person

What are unit vectors and how are they used in understanding vectors?

Unit vectors are vectors with a magnitude of 1 and are used to represent the direction of a vector. They are typically denoted by a hat symbol (e.g. ˆi, ˆj, ˆk) and are used to break down a vector into its x, y, and z components.

How do unit vectors differ from kinematic equations when working with vectors?

Unit vectors are used to represent the direction of a vector while kinematic equations are used to describe the motion of an object. Unit vectors are not equations, but rather a notation used to simplify vector calculations.

What is the relationship between unit vectors and the Pythagorean theorem?

The Pythagorean theorem can be used to calculate the magnitude of a vector by finding the length of the vector's components. Unit vectors can then be used to represent the direction of the vector, resulting in a complete understanding of the vector.

How can unit vectors be used to simplify vector calculations?

Unit vectors allow for vector calculations to be broken down into simpler components. By using unit vectors, complex vector calculations can be simplified into basic algebraic equations.

How can understanding vector components and unit vectors be applied in real-world situations?

Understanding vector components and unit vectors can be applied in various fields such as engineering, physics, and navigation. For example, in engineering, unit vectors can be used to calculate forces and torques, while in navigation, unit vectors can be used to determine the direction and speed of a moving object.