Copper cathode experiment

In summary, the conversation discusses a potential backyard experiment involving an electrolysis setup with a lead anode and copper cathode using a pregnant leach solution from old copper mine tailings. The question is raised whether all metals in the solution will be deposited onto the cathode, to which the answer is no. The expert mentions the concept of reactivity series and how it affects the metals that will deposit on the electrode. The expert also notes that electrorefining is commonly used for copper purification and that other metals, such as silver, may also deposit on the electrode depending on their position on the reactivity scale.
Ash1111
Hi. I am a complete novice working on my first backyard experiment.

I have a 1part sulphuric acid 4parts tap water pregnant leach solution (from old copper mine tailings).

If I were to set up an electrolysis type experiment with a lead anode and a copper cathode should I expect all the metals (i.e. copper, iron, cobalt) in the solution to be deposited onto the cathode?

Thanks

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I don't think so. Copper, yes, but you have plenty of hydrogen to reduce before seeing these metals depositing.

Do you know what reactivity series is? While it is only approximate in many ways, it should give you a starting point.

Thanks Borek. Much appreciated!

Do you mean that copper is the only metal that might deposit in that experimental set up if the hydrogen count was right?

Ash1111 said:
Do you mean that copper is the only metal that might deposit in that experimental set up

Yes, that's why we use electrorefining for copper purification.

Note that some other metals (like silver) will deposit on the electrode as well (assuming it is present in the solution). It depends on where they are on the reactivity scale.

for reaching out about your experiment. It sounds like you have a very interesting project on your hands! I can offer some insights and suggestions for your experiment.

First, it's important to note that the deposition of metals onto the cathode in an electrolysis experiment will depend on a few factors, including the concentration of the metals in the solution, the voltage and current applied, and the composition of the electrodes.

In your case, with a 1:4 ratio of sulphuric acid to tap water, it is likely that some of the metals in the solution will be deposited onto the copper cathode. However, it's difficult to predict exactly which metals will be deposited and in what quantities without knowing the specific concentrations of each metal in the solution.

Additionally, using a lead anode may also affect the results of your experiment. Lead is a highly reactive metal and may react with the sulphuric acid to form lead sulfate, which could potentially interfere with the deposition of other metals onto the cathode.

To get more accurate and consistent results, I would recommend using a standardized solution with known concentrations of the metals you are interested in studying. This will allow you to control the variables and better understand the outcomes of your experiment.

I also suggest doing some research on the properties and behaviors of the metals in your solution to better understand how they may interact with each other and the electrodes.

Overall, your experiment has a lot of potential, but it is important to carefully plan and control the variables to ensure accurate and meaningful results. Good luck with your experiment!

1. What is a copper cathode experiment?

A copper cathode experiment is an experiment that involves the use of a copper electrode (cathode) to investigate various chemical reactions and properties of copper.

2. What is the purpose of a copper cathode experiment?

The purpose of a copper cathode experiment is to gain a better understanding of the chemical and physical properties of copper, such as its reactivity, conductivity, and ability to undergo redox reactions.

3. How is a copper cathode experiment conducted?

A copper cathode experiment typically involves setting up an electrolytic cell, where the copper cathode is connected to a power source and placed in a solution containing ions of a different metal or compound. The copper cathode then undergoes a reduction reaction, while the other ions undergo oxidation, resulting in a transfer of electrons between the two electrodes.

4. What are some potential applications of a copper cathode experiment?

The findings of a copper cathode experiment can have practical applications in industries such as electronics, where copper is commonly used as a conductor, and metallurgy, where copper is extracted from ores using electrolysis. It can also provide insights into the behavior of other metals and their potential uses.

5. What are some safety precautions to take when conducting a copper cathode experiment?

As with any chemical experiment, proper safety precautions must be taken when conducting a copper cathode experiment. This includes wearing protective gear such as gloves and goggles and working in a well-ventilated area. It is also important to handle the chemicals and equipment carefully and dispose of them properly after the experiment.