Scalar Propagator form with width

In summary, the width is added to the propagator to account for the decay of particles. It is necessary for short-lived particles like resonances, and is usually included for more complex particles.
ChrisVer
Gold Member
I would like to ask when can someone add the width in a scalar particle's propagator. In general the scalar propagator can be:
[itex] \frac{1}{k^{2}-m^{2}+i \epsilon} (\epsilon \rightarrow 0)[/itex]
However I read somewhere that if necessary one can include a width for the propagator:

[itex]\frac{1}{k^{2}-m^{2}+i 0} \rightarrow \frac{1}{k^{2}-m^{2}+i m \Gamma}[/itex]

my question is when is it necessary and why?

Physics news on Phys.org
In principle every propagator should contain the width. However, for stable particles [itex]\Gamma=0[/itex], while for "long-living" particles [itex]\Gamma[/itex] is very small and hence one usually includes the width just for short living particles (like resonances).

The quantum mechanical reason for why the width should be there is that, in principle, the Hamiltonian (energy) of the system could always have an absorbitive part causing the decay of your particle.

A pretty good treatment of decays and widths can be found in - De Wit "Field theory in particle physics".

Likes 1 person
My problem is that in QFT I didn't see any reason to include the width anywhere.
For example take a theoretical [itex]\Phi \phi^{2}[/itex] theory ([itex]L_{tri}= \lambda_{3}\Phi \phi^{2}[/itex]) which can give you an s-channel with the decay of [itex]\phi,\phi[/itex] into [itex]\Phi[/itex] and the last into [itex]\phi,\phi[/itex] again... the scheme is:
>---< [itex]\phi (p_{1}) \phi(p_2) \rightarrow \Phi(k) \rightarrow \phi(p_3) \phi(p_4) [/itex]
In this case, the propagator comes out from the Feynman rules and is as I gave it in the first expression in my OP.
[itex] \frac{1}{k^{2}-M_{\Phi}^{2} +i \epsilon}[/itex]
with [itex]k[/itex] the momentum of [itex]\Phi[/itex] intermediate state which you integrate.
Is there something wrong or missing in the above?

The same can also work for t or u channel

Last edited:
You propagator is the bare one. When you consider the full theory, i.e. including all the possible loop diagrams the propagator gets a correction of the kind:
$$
\Delta =\frac{1}{p^2-m^2+i\Sigma(p)}.
$$
If [itex]\Sigma(p)[/itex] only causes a shift on the real [itex]p^0[/itex]-axis then the behavior of your propagator doesn't change qualitatively. However, if this correction induces also a shift in the imaginary axis then you have your width.

Thank you :smile: .
I hope the source you mentioned explains everything nicely, I'll look for it, because your last paragraph confused me a little.

Yes, it does. I'm sorry it wasn't clear, you can find the same line of thought on the book I mentioned :D

No it wasn't unclear, I just didn't understand the "shift"-thing for the p0 Real or I am axis...

Well, that's easy. Suppose that [itex]\Sigma=Re\Sigma+iIm\Sigma[/itex]. Then your propagator becomes:
$$
\frac{1}{p^2-m^2+iRe\Sigma-Im\Sigma}.
$$
As you can see, the imaginary part of [itex]\Sigma[/itex] causes a shift on the real axis of your pole. However, now you can define [itex]Re\Sigma = m\Gamma[/itex] and you have your width.

Likes 1 person
Another source you could look at is Srednicki Chapter 25, which works this out in an explicit calculation.

What is a scalar propagator form with width?

A scalar propagator form with width is a mathematical representation of the behavior of a scalar particle in a quantum field theory. It describes the probability amplitude for a scalar particle to propagate from one point to another in a given amount of time, taking into account the particle's energy and momentum width.

How is a scalar propagator form with width calculated?

The scalar propagator form with width is calculated using a mathematical formula that takes into account the energy and momentum of the scalar particle, as well as the width of its energy and momentum distribution. This formula is derived from the principles of quantum mechanics and quantum field theory.

What is the significance of the width in a scalar propagator form?

The width in a scalar propagator form represents the uncertainty in the energy and momentum of the scalar particle. This uncertainty is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics and reflects the probabilistic nature of subatomic particles.

What are some applications of the scalar propagator form with width?

The scalar propagator form with width is used in various fields of physics, such as particle physics and quantum field theory, to calculate and predict the behavior of scalar particles. It is also used in theoretical models of the universe, such as the Standard Model, to study the properties and interactions of particles.

How does the scalar propagator form with width differ from other propagator forms?

The scalar propagator form with width is specific to scalar particles, while other propagator forms exist for other types of particles, such as fermions and gauge bosons. It takes into account the unique properties of scalar particles, such as their spin and mass, and the width of their energy and momentum distributions.