Start capacitors on 2 phase equipment

In summary, the conversation discusses issues with a replacement chiller unit that requires 230VAC single phase and was previously running on 2 phases of a 110VAC 3 phase supply. The compressor of the new unit failed to kick on, and it is suggested that this may be due to insufficient starting current and the lower voltage. It is also mentioned that new motors are built closer to the minimum spec and may be less tolerant to abuse. It is suggested to use a bigger start capacitor or a "hard start" kit to address the issue.
tonyole
Hi there. So here goes.

I have been having issues with a replacement chiller unit that requires 230VAC single phase.
An identical unit was running on 2 phases of a 110VAC 3 phase supply. I had a start capactior fail in this unit. When I connected the replacement unit, the compressor failed to kick on however it started when bumped with my fist. After kicking off however, the compressor would not always kick back on when required.

So... Since the power supply I'm using to "mimic" a single phase 230VAC supply is ACTUALLY a 2 phase 110VAC (2 of 3 phases) ie. not 180° opposed but 120° then 240°, does this mean that with regard to starting capacitors, polarity becomes an issue?

I am aware that the resultant voltage is 208VAC, however the original unit has run on this supply for a number of years without issue.

Thanks for any insight.

T

Engineering news on Phys.org
The starter capacitor with the new motor may be insufficient to pass the necessary starting current at the lower voltage.

Induction motors do not like low voltages, as they then draw a high current.
The starter capacitor has less voltage and a higher current demand. It will be too small.

New motors are built closer to the minimum spec. Old motors are more tolerant to abuse.

Are there two or three power wires going into the motor ?

A 208/120 system
is 120 single phase when connect from phase to neutral
and when you connect with just two wires from phase to phase it's 208 but still single phase

so your assumption about phase angle
Since the power supply I'm using to "mimic" a single phase 230VAC supply is ACTUALLY a 2 phase 110VAC (2 of 3 phases) ie. not 180° opposed but 120° then 240°, ...
is not correct unless all three phases, not just two of them, are carried to the motor.

Draw your phasor triangle.

Baluncore seems on right track. A bigger start capacitor may help. Electrical supply houses sell "hard start" kits for residential airconditioners - basically just more starting capacitance.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the input.

he use of start capacitors on 2 phase equipment can be a complex issue. It is important to understand the specific requirements and design of the equipment in question. In general, start capacitors are used to provide an initial boost of power to start the equipment, and are typically not used during normal operation.

In your case, it seems that the start capacitor failure may have been due to the difference in voltage and phase between the original and replacement unit. The fact that the compressor started when bumped with your fist suggests that there may be an issue with the start capacitor or its connection.

Regarding the polarity of the start capacitor, it is possible that it could become an issue if the capacitor is not designed to handle the specific voltage and phase of the power supply. It is important to consult the manufacturer's specifications and guidelines when replacing start capacitors on equipment.

It is also worth considering if there are any other factors that could be causing the compressor to not kick on, such as a faulty relay or wiring issue. It may be helpful to consult a professional technician or the manufacturer for further troubleshooting and assistance.

1. What is a start capacitor and what is its function?

A start capacitor is an electrical component that is used in 2 phase equipment to provide an initial boost of power to the motor during startup. Its function is to help the motor overcome inertia and start rotating.

2. How does a start capacitor work?

A start capacitor works by storing electrical energy and releasing it when the motor is started. This additional energy helps to overcome the high resistance of the motor windings during startup, allowing the motor to start spinning.

3. What are the signs of a faulty start capacitor?

Signs of a faulty start capacitor can include a motor that struggles to start or takes longer than usual to start, a buzzing or humming sound coming from the motor, or the motor failing to start at all. It is important to replace a faulty start capacitor as it can cause damage to the motor if left unrepaired.

4. Can a start capacitor be replaced?

Yes, a start capacitor can be replaced. However, it is important to note that the replacement capacitor must have the same specifications (voltage, capacitance, etc.) as the original one. It is recommended to consult a professional if you are unsure about how to replace a start capacitor.

5. Are there any safety precautions to take when dealing with start capacitors?

Yes, it is important to follow safety precautions when dealing with start capacitors. Always make sure to disconnect the power source before handling the capacitor, and discharge any remaining electrical energy before attempting to remove or replace it. It is also recommended to wear protective gear, such as gloves and safety glasses, when working with start capacitors.