I want to study marine biology

In summary, studying marine biology typically takes 11 years, including a 4-year B.S. in biology and a 6-year marine biology PhD. Additional education and experience may also be necessary. The link provided offers more information on becoming a marine biologist and a video showcasing the work of marine biologists.
Jason49
Hi I want to study marine biology. I just want to know how long does it take to study this field

Physics news on Phys.org
Ummm. It depends? If you get a B.S. in bio (4 years), then do a marine biology PhD at somewhere like Scripps marine institute (6ish years?) then 11ish years total.

Where are you at in your education?

Here is a short Q&A
http://aquarium.ucsd.edu/Education/Learning_Resources/So_You_Would_Like_To_Be_A_Marine_Biologist/ [Broken]

Last edited:
Thanks greg that was really help full

Cool thanks

What is marine biology?

Marine biology is the scientific study of living organisms in the ocean and other saltwater environments. It involves studying a wide range of marine life, including fish, mammals, plants, and microorganisms, and their interactions with each other and their environment.

What skills do I need to study marine biology?

To study marine biology, you will need strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as a good understanding of scientific principles and research methods. You should also have a passion for the ocean and a willingness to work in challenging environments.

What are the career opportunities in marine biology?

There are many career opportunities in marine biology, including working as a research scientist, marine conservationist, environmental consultant, or educator. You could also work in government agencies, non-profit organizations, or private companies that focus on marine science and conservation.

What are the educational requirements for studying marine biology?

To become a marine biologist, you will typically need a bachelor's degree in marine biology or a related field such as biology, zoology, or oceanography. Many positions in this field also require a master's or doctoral degree.

What can I expect to learn in a marine biology program?

In a marine biology program, you will learn about the physical and chemical properties of the ocean, as well as the biology of marine organisms and their ecosystems. You will also gain hands-on experience through fieldwork and lab work, and learn about current research and conservation efforts in the field.