Help me identify this mystery structure in my SEM image?

In summary, The speaker is asking for help identifying a recurring structure in an SEM image taken of a pyrex sample. They provide a link to a higher resolution image and explain that the sample contained xenon, nitrogen gas, and rubidium and was exposed to laser light and heat. They have been searching for etching or pitting caused by xenon excimers, but have instead found circular structures that were not present on a control piece of pyrex. They ask for suggestions and someone suggests that it may be surface defects caused by microscopic impacts, providing a link to similar SEM images.
CFlower
Hey all,

As the title suggests, I've found some recurring structure on an SEM image and I can't for the life of me figure out what it is. I took the image this morning.

Here she is:
http://i.imgur.com/nFuBsW2.png

Here's a larger, more zoomed out and higher res version. A few more of the mystery objects are visible.

http://i.imgur.com/gEXW4KN.jpg

I found plenty of these things. Here's some background on the sample. This was a piece of pyrex from a glass cell that contained a mixture of xenon and nitrogen gas. It also contained rubidium. The cell was continuously irradiated with 795 nm laser light, and heated sometimes up to 180 C. We washed out the rubidium by slowly reacting it with alcohol before breaking the cell open. I've been examining the cell surface looking for etching or pitting in the glass possibly caused by xenon excimers. So far, inconclusive. But I've been completely baffled by these circular structures that keep appearing. They were not present at all on a control piece of pyrex that I imaged.

Does anyone recognize this? What might it be?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not familiar with scanning electron microscopy, but the features look very similar to impact craters. Especially since they all seem to contain some central feature. Perhaps it is a surface defect due to microscopic impacts.

Thanks for your input. I've considered that suggestion and I think it's viable. Here are some SEM images of microcratering in a similar vein that are fairly interesting. http://ccldas.blogspot.ca/2011/05/more-sem-images.html

1. What is the magnification of the SEM image?

The magnification of an SEM image is determined by the size of the scanned area and the number of pixels in the image. This can range from a few hundred times to over a million times magnification.

2. Can you identify the material of the mystery structure?

Identifying the material of a structure in an SEM image requires additional analysis, such as energy-dispersive X-ray spectroscopy (EDS) or wavelength-dispersive X-ray spectroscopy (WDS). These techniques can provide information about the elemental composition of the structure.

3. What causes the contrast in the SEM image?

The contrast in an SEM image is caused by differences in the composition and topography of the sample. Electrons from the SEM beam interact differently with different materials, resulting in variations in brightness in the image.

4. How can I determine the size of the mystery structure?

The size of a structure in an SEM image can be determined by measuring the distance between two known features in the image and using the magnification to calculate the actual size. Alternatively, specialized software can be used to measure the size directly from the image.

5. Can you provide any possible explanations for the unusual shape of the mystery structure?

The shape of a structure in an SEM image can be influenced by various factors, such as sample preparation, imaging parameters, and the nature of the material. Further analysis and experimentation may be needed to determine the exact cause of the unusual shape.