Wind and rain sounds -- how to make from basic sources?

In summary, you would need a random impulse generator to start with, and then use the FFT filter to low pass or high pass the noise, or both. You could also try the pink noise generator.
btb4198
ok I have a FFT filter ( lowpass and highpass), white, brown, and pink noise generators.

How do I use all these things to make wind ,rain, and ocean noise ?
I am told there is a way.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You get creative.

You could have a look at the spectrum of the natural sources you want to mimic for some inspiration. Then as Baluncore suggested, get creative, experiment.

btb4198 said:
ok I have a FFT filter ( lowpass and highpass), white, brown, and pink noise generators.

Some of these have time-varying characteristics, either in volume or spectral content, or both, so you won't produce anything realistic unless you can introduce the cyclic variations needed. The surf sound gets louder, then ebbs, with each roller. The storm's wind rises to a scream, then falls to a growl. Gentle rain is easy, it's constant.

NascentOxygen said:
Some of these have time-varying characteristics, either in volume or spectral content, or both, so you won't produce anything realistic unless you can introduce the cyclic variations needed. The surf sound gets louder, then ebbs, with each roller. The storm's wind rises to a scream, then falls to a growl. Gentle rain is easy, it's constant.

I do ...
I have it on a sin wave that drop down to 0.

two things
1)
I can't get my buffer to be 2^N size, it is because I am using NAudio class and is it just not designed like that. but I did get it to be 262136 size which is close to 2^18( 262144). And I test that and it works , but not as good at it did with 32768 sample.

2) I am filter brown noise and I could not find anything online to help on how to do it, but it doe not sound like rain or wind.

I tried both the low and high and I did like 10hz 100Hz 200Hz, but I am shooting in the dark here...
any ideas ?

Pink noise into rain

I am trying to filter pink noise into rain noise
but it is not sound right

right now I am trying to high pass filter and I have it set to 6000

what should I use?
Low pass or high pass or both ?

and what should I set them to?

btb4198 said:
I am trying to filter pink noise into rain noise
but it is not sound right

right now I am trying to high pass filter and I have it set to 6000

what should I use?
Low pass or high pass or both ?

and what should I set them to?

not knowing what equip you are using etc that is pretty unanswerable

do lots of experimentation. you have the gear in front of you, we don't :wink:Dave

btb4198 said:

For rain, you'd need a random impulse generator to start with.

I have that put

I have the pink noise generator on a sinwave

1. How can I create wind and rain sounds using basic sources?

There are a few ways to create wind and rain sounds using basic sources. One method is to use objects such as a fan, hair dryer, or rustling leaves to create the sound of wind. For rain, you can use a spray bottle, tapping on a surface, or pouring water into a container. You can also combine these sounds using audio editing software to create a more realistic effect.

2. What types of basic sources are commonly used to create wind and rain sounds?

Some commonly used basic sources for creating wind and rain sounds include fans, hair dryers, leaves, paper, spray bottles, and water. You can also use your own voice or body to create some of these sounds, such as blowing into a microphone for wind or snapping your fingers for rain.

3. How can I make the wind and rain sounds sound more realistic?

To make wind and rain sounds sound more realistic, you can experiment with different types of objects and surfaces to create a variety of textures and tones. You can also layer multiple sounds together and adjust the volume and pitch to create a more dynamic effect. Adding background noise or ambient sounds can also enhance the realism of the wind and rain sounds.

4. Are there any online resources or tutorials for creating wind and rain sounds from basic sources?

Yes, there are many online resources and tutorials available for creating wind and rain sounds from basic sources. You can find step-by-step guides, video tutorials, and sound effect libraries that offer a wide range of options for creating these sounds. You can also join online communities or forums to connect with other sound designers and exchange tips and techniques.

5. How can I incorporate wind and rain sounds into my projects or experiments?

There are many ways to incorporate wind and rain sounds into your projects or experiments. These sounds can add atmosphere and depth to audio recordings, videos, or animations. They can also be used in sound therapy, relaxation techniques, or for creating an immersive environment. Additionally, wind and rain sounds can be used in scientific experiments to simulate certain conditions or to study the effects of different soundscapes on human behavior and emotions.