Contribution of Distrance and Speed on Time Taken

• Thread starter harrycool
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Speed Time
In summary, the conversation discusses two scenarios of traveling at different speeds and distances and the resulting time taken to reach the destination. It also explores the concept of time savings due to changes in speed and distance. However, there is no standard way to compare the contribution of distance and speed in overall time savings.
harrycool
In Scenario 1. I travel 1000 KMs @ 100 KM/Hr. I reach my destination in 10 Hours.
In Scenario 2. I travel 600 KMs @ 80 KM/Hr. I reach my destination in 7.5 Hours.

How much time do I save due to reduction in distance and how much time is wasted due to reduction in speed?

If I do not change the speed but only change distance (600 KM, 100 KM/Hr), I get 4 hours saved. If I do not change the distance but only the speed (1000KM, 80 KM/Hr), I get 2.5 hours extra. -4 + 2.5 = -1.5. However, in total, I have saved 2.5 hours. So how do I find the contribution of distance and speed in my overall time savings?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
So how do I find the contribution of distance and speed in my overall time savings?
afaik, there is no standard way to compare them. Fortunately, the question does not ask you to.

1. How does distance affect the time taken to travel?

The greater the distance, the longer it will take to travel. This is because the speed at which one travels remains relatively constant, so a longer distance requires more time to cover it.

2. What is the relationship between speed and time?

There is an inverse relationship between speed and time. This means that the faster you travel, the less time it will take to cover a certain distance. Similarly, if you decrease your speed, it will take longer to cover the same distance.

3. How does the speed of travel affect the overall time taken for a journey?

The speed of travel is directly proportional to the overall time taken for a journey. This means that the faster you travel, the less time it will take to reach your destination. However, this also depends on the distance that needs to be covered.

4. What is the role of distance in determining the time taken for a journey?

Distance is a key factor in determining the time taken for a journey. The further the distance, the longer it will take to travel. This is because the speed remains constant, so a longer distance requires more time to cover it.

5. How does the speed and distance of travel affect the time taken for a journey?

The speed and distance of travel are both important factors in determining the time taken for a journey. An increase in either the speed or distance will result in a shorter overall time taken for the journey. However, if either of these factors decrease, it will result in a longer time taken to reach the destination.