Possible integration techniques for laptop keyboards

In summary, a laptop keyboard has a ribbon connection that sends signals to a processor on the motherboard. If you want to use the keyboard in a desktop computer, you will need to buy a keyboard with a USB interface.
NaughtyBear
Hello there! I am attempting to use a laptop keyboard I just salvaged from a spare. I noticed the laptop keyboard has a ribbon connection. Further research has told me that the ribbon cable essentially just sents signals to a processor attached to the motherboard. In other words, I cannot use it conventionally. Or can I? I was thinking I could use a microprocessor such as the Raspberry Pi in order to act as the processor. I made a desk that houses my computer inside about a 15" gap between the plexiglass and edge. So if I cut it out and ream it a smidge, I could set the keyboard inside in order to use it with the keyboard. Thus making a keyboard that is integrated into my desk along with a computer. With that being said, am I wrong in my assumptions of this? If so, how does a laptop keyboard work? I attached a picture which makes it seem like it operates as a matrix. So is there any way to do that of which I am trying to do?

Attachments

• 1-keymatrix.jpg
    1-keymatrix.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 413
Engineering news on Phys.org
as a hobbyist project it would be interesting but the PI can handle usb keyboards and if you're really interested in playing with the PI then just get one and save yourself the grief. They can usually be had for $10 to $20 dollars or equivalent and used ones may be even cheaper.

Others have investigated this:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8216&p=296145

You are right, the key switches are wired as a matrix. In desktop computer keyboards, a standard keyboard controller chip is usually part of the keyboard, to interface the key switches to either the (almost obsolete) PS2 connector, or to a USB connector.

In a laptop, the keyboard controller chip is probably on the motherboard rather than on the keyboard (and the functionality may be part of a bigger chip, to save space).

As post #2 said, if you just want a keyboard that works, buy one with a USB interface. If you want an interesting project, build your own interface.

Cool! Thanks guys. Yeah for the most part, I do realize that it would be easier to just use a USB. But I would like to do this as a learning experience as well as...why not!? I know it is not going to be easy...But I would rather do this because I have yet to find a regular keyboard with USB that is as thin as a USB keyboard. The USB ones are so...bulky...

Hello there! It sounds like you are trying to integrate a laptop keyboard into your desk setup. This is definitely possible, but it will require some technical knowledge and understanding of how laptop keyboards work.

First, let's discuss the ribbon cable. As you mentioned, it is responsible for sending signals to a processor on the motherboard. This processor is responsible for interpreting the key presses and sending them to the computer. In order to use the keyboard in a non-conventional way, you will need to find a way to connect the ribbon cable to a different processor, such as the Raspberry Pi.

One possible integration technique could be to use a USB controller. This would allow you to connect the ribbon cable to the USB port on the Raspberry Pi, and then use software to map the keyboard keys to specific functions on the computer.

Another option could be to use a keyboard decoder chip, which would allow you to directly connect the ribbon cable to the Raspberry Pi's GPIO pins. This would require some programming knowledge to set up, but it would give you more control over the keyboard's functionality.

It is important to note that laptop keyboards use a matrix structure, where each key is connected to a specific row and column. This allows for multiple key presses to be registered at the same time. So in order to use the keyboard, you will need to understand this matrix structure and how to map the keys to specific functions on the computer.

Overall, your idea of integrating a laptop keyboard into your desk setup is possible, but it will require some technical knowledge and possibly some trial and error. I would recommend doing some more research on keyboard integration techniques and possibly reaching out to online communities for help and advice. Best of luck with your project!

1. What is the purpose of integrating techniques for laptop keyboards?

The purpose of integrating techniques for laptop keyboards is to improve the functionality and user experience of the keyboard. This can include features such as customizable key layouts, backlit keys, and improved key sensitivity.

2. What are some common integration techniques used for laptop keyboards?

Some common integration techniques used for laptop keyboards include membrane keyboards, scissor switch keyboards, and mechanical keyboards. These techniques vary in their design and functionality, but all aim to improve the overall performance of the keyboard.

3. How do integration techniques affect the durability of laptop keyboards?

Integration techniques can greatly impact the durability of laptop keyboards. Membrane keyboards, for example, are known for their durability and resistance to dust and spills. Mechanical keyboards, on the other hand, may be more prone to wear and tear over time due to their moving parts.

4. Can integration techniques improve the typing experience on laptop keyboards?

Yes, integration techniques can greatly improve the typing experience on laptop keyboards. For example, mechanical keyboards are known for their tactile feedback and improved key sensitivity, making typing more comfortable and efficient.

5. Are there any drawbacks to integrating techniques for laptop keyboards?

While integration techniques can greatly improve the functionality of laptop keyboards, they may also come with some drawbacks. For instance, some techniques may add bulk or weight to the keyboard, making it less portable. Additionally, certain techniques may also increase the cost of the keyboard.