S-duality and self-duality

by metroplex021
Tags: sduality, selfduality
Share this thread:
metroplex021
Aug5-14, 03:51 AM
P: 127
Hi folks,

I am looking a bit at the phenomenon of S-duality (as a bit of an amateur) and looking at the literature I am getting mixed messages concerning whether or not N=4 supersymmetric Yang-Mills theories are in general self-dual. Does anyone happen to know anything about this?!

I'd appreciate any views or leads very much!
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
New complex oxides could advance memory devices
Nature's designs inspire research into new light-based technologies
UCI team is first to capture motion of single molecule in real time
Greg Bernhardt
Aug13-14, 10:17 PM
Admin
P: 9,709
I'm sorry you are not finding help at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us?
metroplex021
Sep5-14, 12:24 AM
P: 127
I just received this in an email from a rather famous physicist whose name I'd rather not mention.

"The classic Montonen-Olive duality of N=4 super-Yang Mills illustrates both self- and non-self duality. For gauge group SU(n) or SO(2n) the dual theory is the same, but the paper

Gauge Theories and Magnetic Charge
P. Goddard (Cambridge U.), J. Nuyts (UMH, Mons), David I. Olive (CERN & Bohr Inst.). Dec 1976. 41 pp.
Published in Nucl.Phys. B125 (1977) 1

showed that SO(2n+1) is dual to Sp(2n) and vice versa. The global symmetries and SUSY have to be the same on both sides, but the fields and gauge symmetries differ. ... As one goes to less SUSY, there is more freedom and non-self-duality is common."

Hope that's of interest to others!

Register to reply