Browser on computer causes interferance for low bandwith fm stations

In summary, the conversation discusses an issue with radio interference on a computer when using a browser, which was not present before installing a KVM switch. The interference is believed to be caused by electrical network activity and the solution suggested is to try using snap on toroids or shielding the monitor's video signal.
DavoMarc
Hi,

I have a computer set up with a KVM switch.
When using the computer and not opening a browser, IE or Firefox, the radio is fine.
When I open a browser I get interference on the radio ... Low frequency on the fm bW in the 80 Mhz range. If I open both browsers it completely kills the signal with noise. Upper frequencies past the 90 Mhz range are not effected. I am wondering as a curiosity what is happening and how the opening or use of ports on a computer can do this. Also, for giggles I'd like to know what the fix is for something like this.

Thanks in advance.

D

Computer science news on Phys.org
Does it matter which website you are visiting?

Hi, Thanks for the quick response.
No it doesn't matter.

-D

All I can think is that whenever you are using a browser, there is electrical network activity - whether it's wifi or ethernet - and that's causing the interference.

Yes, that makes sense. This didn't happen until the KVM switch was installed. Some how that exacerbated it. Maybe I can somehow shield it. Thank you appreciate the information.

its radiation from your video signal or screen I would guess, set up the web page, and unplug your monitor and turn it off.
The interference will probably go away, the extra wires from the KVM switch is making your video cable a better antenna.

1. How does a browser on a computer cause interference for low bandwidth FM stations?

When a browser is open on a computer, it is constantly sending and receiving data from the internet. This data transmission can create electromagnetic interference that disrupts the low bandwidth FM radio signals.

2. Can this interference be prevented?

Yes, the interference can be prevented by using a shielded cable or placing the computer and FM radio receiver at a distance from each other. Additionally, using a different browser or updating the computer's hardware can also reduce interference.

3. Are there any specific browsers or websites that cause more interference than others?

Generally, all browsers have the potential to cause interference for low bandwidth FM stations. However, streaming websites or those with heavy multimedia content can contribute to higher levels of interference.

4. Can this interference affect FM radio stations with higher bandwidths?

Yes, while low bandwidth FM stations are more susceptible to interference, higher bandwidth stations can also experience disruptions if the interference is strong enough.

5. Is there any way to measure the level of interference caused by a browser on a computer?

Yes, there are devices that can measure electromagnetic interference, but they may be expensive and not easily accessible. Alternatively, if you notice a decrease in the quality of your FM radio signal when using a computer, it is likely being affected by interference.