Physics/math keyboard for android app

In summary, a keyboard specifically designed for use with physicists/astrophysicists/computational physicists is being developed. If you are interested in beta testing the keyboard, please reply here.
Goodver
Does anyone know any sufficient keyboard app for android tablets containing physics and math symbols? Including vectors maybe

Computer science news on Phys.org
Thanks a lot, however not quite what i was looking for. Would be nice to have a keyboard, where one could press a button to get an integral symbol for example. So far i simply use greek alfabet for some symbols.

Goodver said:
Does anyone know any sufficient keyboard app for android tablets containing physics and math symbols? Including vectors maybe

Hello,

I know it's now nearly a year after asking your question, but I'm hoping you'll still get notified of my reply, and who knows? Maybe it will still be relevant. :-)

I am working with the developer of the GO Keyboard for Android to develop this very idea as we speak. So, it's great to see that someone is interested in the idea!

While getting ready to study for my Set Theory/Topology final one semester, the need for a fully-integrated keyboard geared specifically for Physicists/Astrophysicists/Computational Physicists became glaringly-apparent. I got tired of switching back and forth between a logic keyboard--pretty much the best compromise I could find--and a Greek one just to use my digital notecard app that I can sync to my online sccount. I needed it to write equations, and soon realized to have one to handle complex integrals along with vector notation would be even better.

I immediately contacted the developer after I got done with the standard physicist "Praise me, I‘m a genius" dance, o0) and outlined the idea. It wasn't 10-minutes later he had written back, completely on board, and a little excited, too.

The idea has been on hold, of course, but now that I'm not in class, I have time to devote to it.

After contacting some professors and colleagues who work in Astrophysics, I now have a list of symbols/characters/variables with which to begin. All the developer‘s waiting for now is a first draft for a keyboard layout from me.

If you guys think any of the forum readers here may be interested in becoming a beta tester to work with the layout, suggestions for key choices and to report any bugs, reply here. I'd like to shoot for a beta release date by the end of August, at the earliest.

Thank-you so much for asking--I never would have seen it if I hadn't done another search to check if anyone had released one in the meantime.

~Opus

I should like to have seen the 'Praise me, I'm a genius' dance, because indeed you are.

I look forward to you posting what promises to be an amazing tool.

Opuscroakus said:
Hello,

I know it's now nearly a year after asking your question, but I'm hoping you'll still get notified of my reply, and who knows? Maybe it will still be relevant. :-)

I am working with the developer of the GO Keyboard for Android to develop this very idea as we speak. So, it's great to see that someone is interested in the idea!

While getting ready to study for my Set Theory/Topology final one semester, the need for a fully-integrated keyboard geared specifically for Physicists/Astrophysicists/Computational Physicists became glaringly-apparent. I got tired of switching back and forth between a logic keyboard--pretty much the best compromise I could find--and a Greek one just to use my digital notecard app that I can sync to my online sccount. I needed it to write equations, and soon realized to have one to handle complex integrals along with vector notation would be even better.

I immediately contacted the developer after I got done with the standard physicist "Praise me, I‘m a genius" dance, o0) and outlined the idea. It wasn't 10-minutes later he had written back, completely on board, and a little excited, too.

The idea has been on hold, of course, but now that I'm not in class, I have time to devote to it.

After contacting some professors and colleagues who work in Astrophysics, I now have a list of symbols/characters/variables with which to begin. All the developer‘s waiting for now is a first draft for a keyboard layout from me.

If you guys think any of the forum readers here may be interested in becoming a beta tester to work with the layout, suggestions for key choices and to report any bugs, reply here. I'd like to shoot for a beta release date by the end of August, at the earliest.

Thank-you so much for asking--I never would have seen it if I hadn't done another search to check if anyone had released one in the meantime.

~Opus

The more advanced the classes as I get through my engineering degree, the more useful something like this is. I'll be interested in taking part if needed

1. What is a physics/math keyboard for android app?

A physics/math keyboard for android app is a specialized keyboard that allows users to easily input mathematical and scientific symbols and equations on their android devices. It is designed to make writing and solving equations more efficient and convenient for users.

2. How does a physics/math keyboard for android app work?

The app uses a combination of predictive text and gesture recognition to accurately input mathematical symbols and equations. Users can also customize the keyboard to include their most frequently used symbols for even faster input.

3. Can I use the physics/math keyboard for android app in any app or only specific ones?

The keyboard can be used in any app that requires text input, including messaging, notes, and word processing apps. However, some apps may not support the use of specialized keyboards, so the functionality may vary.

4. Is the physics/math keyboard for android app accurate?

Yes, the app is designed to accurately input mathematical symbols and equations, but it may require some practice to get used to the gesture recognition and predictive text features. Users can also manually input symbols if needed.

5. Are there any additional features or benefits of using a physics/math keyboard for android app?

Aside from making it easier to input mathematical and scientific equations, some apps may also include features such as a built-in calculator or the ability to graph equations directly from the keyboard. This can be particularly useful for students or professionals in the fields of science and mathematics.