Register to reply

Thermodynamics of a floating cylinder

by private_donkey
Tags: cylinder, floating, thermodynamics
Share this thread:
private_donkey
Aug13-14, 01:44 PM
P: 2
I am wondering if my reasoning is correct for determining the energy due to the buoyancy of a deformed water surface.

Essentially, one has a floating cylinder that depresses the surface of a liquid in an infinite tank as seen in the figure. I want to compare the energy of a flat surface with the energy of the deformed surface due to the displacement of the liquid by air (I know there are other energies involved but for the time being I am only looking at the energy due to the buoyancy of the displace liquid due to the deformed surface), not including the liquid displaced by the cylinder.

My reasoning is
[tex]
\begin{align}
E_{deformed} - E_0 &= \int_0^{-h} -F_{buoyancy} dz \\
&= \int_0^{-h} -P A dz \\
&= \rho g \int_0^{h} z \pi f(z)^2 dz
\end{align}
[/tex]

where [itex] \rho [/itex] is the density of the liquid. P is pressue, given by [itex] P = \rho g z [/itex], A is area, and thus A dz is volume of the displace liquid. [itex] A [/itex] can be given by [itex] A = \pi f(z)^2 [/itex], where [itex] f(z) [/itex] describes the radius from the centre of the cylinder to the edge of the meniscus to make infinitesimal disks as a function of z. g is gravity accel.

Is this reasoning correct?
Attached Thumbnails
float.png  
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
'Smart material' chin strap harvests energy from chewing
Lockheed Martin advances live, virtual, constructive training in flight test
Lockheed Martin conducts flight tests of aircraft laser turret for DARPA
Greg Bernhardt
Aug19-14, 09:08 PM
Admin
P: 9,700
I'm sorry you are not finding help at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us?
private_donkey
Aug21-14, 11:47 AM
P: 2
Not sure...Would a depressed liquid surface have a buoyancy? Because you are displacing liquid against gravity right...?

Register to reply