Register to reply

Graviton and other particle interections

by Quarlep
Tags: graviton, interections, particle
Share this thread:
Quarlep
Aug14-14, 09:24 AM
P: 78
We know that graviton spin is 2 so other lepton and quarks spin is 1/2 I am confused because If Graviton and a quark or maybe a lepton make an interaction than the last spin must be 3/2 or 5/2 but theres no particle exist in this spin quantity.It means theres no particle called graviton or I dont know I am confused

Thanks
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
UCI team is first to capture motion of single molecule in real time
And so they beat on, flagella against the cantilever
Tandem microwave destroys hazmat, disinfects
Shyan
Aug14-14, 09:27 AM
P: 928
You only add spins if you have a particle which is the bound state of other particles. But not all kinds of interactions give bound states!
Quarlep
Aug14-14, 09:36 AM
Whats bound state I googled but its hard to understand

Shyan
Aug14-14, 09:37 AM
Graviton and other particle interections

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bound_state
Quarlep
Aug14-14, 09:51 AM
I lookes there But I didnt undertsand I am 16 years old and I dont know QM. Its complicated and I dont know english very well.
Quarlep
Aug14-14, 09:54 AM
Can you tell me more specific so you are trying to tell me theres a graviton but is not interact with other particles.
Or its interacts ?
Shyan
Aug14-14, 09:59 AM
OK. The point is, in some situations, the interaction is somehow that the particles are going to remain close to each other. In these situations, we say that they formed a bound state, a composite particle. Like a proton which is formed from two up quarks and one down quark.
But for some other situations, the particles just attract or repel each other for some time and then leave each other alone. These are called scattering processes or sometimes collisions.
Quarlep
Aug14-14, 10:17 AM
I ask it because I read a book about particle phyiscs and the author said that spin is conserved its true or not ?
And thanks for explanation Thanks I understand it
mfb
Aug14-14, 12:41 PM
Mentor
P: 12,053
Total angular momentum is conserved. Spin is one part, but the motion of particles can contribute to the angular momentum as well.

We know that graviton spin is 2
We know that if it exists, its spin has to be 2.

Yes a (hypothetical) graviton would interact with other particles.
Vanadium 50
Aug14-14, 07:53 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 16,462
Quote Quote by Quarlep View Post
If Graviton and a quark or maybe a lepton make an interaction than the last spin must be 3/2 or 5/2
Why? A spin-1 photon can interact with a spin-0 alpha particle and it will remain a spin-0 alpha particle?
ChrisVer
Aug14-14, 08:03 PM
P: 1,027
As for the photon-alpha particle interactions, in case the alpha particle absorbs a photon, it's going to get excited and so will get orbital momentum to conserve the angular momentum. Is giving composite particles for this case good?
Quarlep
Aug15-14, 01:58 AM
Quote Quote by mfb View Post
Total angular momentum is conserved. Spin is one part, but the motion of particles can contribute to the angular momentum as well.
I learned that total angular momentum is conserved as indicated above.But I am confused here because total angular momentum is equal spin angular momentum plus orbital angular momentum. In particle interactions like two electron collusions or proton proton collusion every collusions or decays there's no orbital angular momentum(my idea) so I guess total angular momentum must be equal spin angular momentum because theres no orbital momentum so If graviton interects with another particle total angular momentum must be conserved so I claimed that its equal spin angular momentum.Its the reason why I said that graviton and other particle interactions result of spin is 3/2 or 5/2.
Am I wrong.
Vanadium 50
Aug15-14, 05:37 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by ChrisVer View Post
As for the photon-alpha particle interactions, in case the alpha particle absorbs a photon, it's going to get excited and so will get orbital momentum to conserve the angular momentum. Is giving composite particles for this case good?
Let's not complicate things when we explain things. It doesn't have to absorb the photon.
ChrisVer
Aug15-14, 05:59 AM
P: 1,027
if it doesn't absorb the photon then the alpha+gamma will give alpha+gamma
Vanadium 50
Aug15-14, 07:33 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Chris, you are not helping. What I am trying to get across is the idea that you can have an interaction with no exchange of angular momentum. Quibbling does not help.
mfb
Aug16-14, 09:30 AM
Mentor
P: 12,053
Quote Quote by Quarlep View Post
I learned that total angular momentum is conserved as indicated above.But I am confused here because total angular momentum is equal spin angular momentum plus orbital angular momentum. In particle interactions like two electron collusions or proton proton collusion every collusions or decays there's no orbital angular momentum(my idea) so I guess total angular momentum must be equal spin angular momentum because theres no orbital momentum so If graviton interects with another particle total angular momentum must be conserved so I claimed that its equal spin angular momentum.Its the reason why I said that graviton and other particle interactions result of spin is 3/2 or 5/2.
Am I wrong.
As soon as there is more than one particle, you can have "orbital" angular momentum (not really as orbit, but as displaced relative motion).
Collision with i.

Register to reply