Retrovirus & Enzyme Telomerase: Achieving Human Longevity

• Thread starter kidsasd987
  • Start date
  • Tags
    genetics
In summary: So it's not all doom and gloom. In summary, this might be possible, but it's not easy and it will require a lot of research.
kidsasd987
I am just wondering if this is possible. This might sound super crazy though. I know this sounds like sci-fi. If there is any related articles, I would appreciate if you comment them.Retrovirus artificial telomeraesfirst it is required to understand the chemical reactions and biological reactions of telomere and telomerase thoroughly.
If it is confirmed that the length of telomere has a major effect on human longevity, it must be retained long enough to maintain the cell activity
this can be implemented by artificial telomerase produced by nano tech.
it must be based on DNA template -> RNA and Protein central dogma.(must create a new genetic template for enzyme and its restrain factors)
telomerase’s activity must be regulated or even be terminated by implementing a certain mean.once above instruction is achieved, following DNA template can be transplanted by retro virus, and distributed to the cells in the way that retro virus does.

Then must be stopped at the optimal level(externally or internally)

Biology news on Phys.org
It is not a crazy idea since many scientists have already had it.

You can find lots of articles about it on the web. E.g. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telomerase

You will see it is not crazy, just over-optimistic and and over-simplistic to think just override the Hayflick limit and you have immortality. Some cells have done this in a cancer and that is what you may get. So it looks like we will have to know a lot more about the complexities of cell and tissue interactions, -as well as the targeting and control you mention. I'd say if you want to dedicate your life to it there is a few decades research for a community of researchers of which you could be a part.

I had not looked into this before but it seems to me there is also a number of to say the least dubious quacks promising life extension with brochures that use all the impressive-looking molecular biology images, so I hope there will be other comments including about this last point.

But there is important molecular/cell/biomedical research too.

1. What is a retrovirus?

A retrovirus is a type of virus that has RNA as its genetic material instead of DNA. It uses the enzyme reverse transcriptase to convert its RNA into DNA, which can then be integrated into the host cell's genome. This allows the virus to replicate itself within the host's cells.

2. How does a retrovirus cause disease?

Retroviruses can cause disease by inserting their genetic material into the host's genome, disrupting normal cellular functions. They can also cause disease by killing cells or causing an overactive immune response. Some retroviruses, such as HIV, can also lead to the development of cancer.

3. What is telomerase and how does it affect human longevity?

Telomerase is an enzyme that helps maintain the length of telomeres, which are the protective caps at the ends of our chromosomes. As we age, our telomeres naturally shorten, which can lead to cellular damage and aging. Telomerase helps to prevent this shortening and has been linked to increased lifespan and healthspan in some studies.

4. Can retroviruses be used to achieve human longevity?

While some retroviruses have been linked to increased lifespan in certain animal models, there is currently no evidence to suggest that retroviruses can be used to achieve human longevity. In fact, most retroviruses are known to cause disease and can be harmful to human health.

5. Are there any potential risks or ethical concerns associated with using telomerase to achieve human longevity?

One potential risk of using telomerase to achieve human longevity is the possibility of promoting the growth of cancer cells. Telomerase is often active in cancer cells, and increasing its activity in healthy cells could potentially lead to the development of cancer. There are also ethical concerns surrounding the use of telomerase and other methods to extend human lifespan, including issues of access and fairness. More research is needed to fully understand the potential risks and ethical implications of using telomerase for human longevity.