What Size HSS Beam for 40ft Span, 500 kgs Load

• Thread starter kurtnic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Span
In summary, the conversation is about determining the size of an HSS beam needed to cross a 40 foot span with a distributed weight of 500 kilograms for a roof structure inside a barn. The person asking for help is new to this and is seeking clarification on the units for the load and if they need to account for factors such as seismic loading and wind. They also mention having 6, 10 foot HSS beams and ask if they can use them for this project. The expert advises the person to consult with a local source of information for proper guidance.
kurtnic
What size of HSS beem do I need to cross a 40 foot span with 500 kilos even distributed still weight. it will be used to hold 1/2 of a roof. there will be no center post. no wind. structure is inside.

Thanks so much. Big help

I just don't know this stuff.

Engineering news on Phys.org
500 kilo what? Just to be clear.

HSS 500 kilos

It will be play rood roof on top all sheet add up to 500 kilos aprox

Thanks a bunch

Play wood on the roof

No, I mean 500 kilograms, 500 kilo-Newtons, 500 kilo-pounds, ...

What are the units for your load?

ok thanks .. its kilograms. new at this. thanks again.

Just want to point out that if you are designing this for a structure, especially one which people will be using, you MUST check your local and federal building codes. It may also be required that a certified structural engineer stamp the work.

500 kg huh? Where did this figure come in? Did you account for seismic loading? Wind? Snow/rain? etc

A 40 foot span is nothing to be approximating at.

No people will be on or under structure. and it will be inside of my barn. I have 6, 10 foot HSS 6" x 4" X 1/4". Just wanted to see If I could them on this project.

Thank´s for your help

We don't give this sort of advice here. If you don't know what you are doing, you need to find a local source of info (a structural building expert) and have them help you.

1. What is the appropriate size of HSS beam for a 40ft span?

The appropriate size of HSS (Hollow Structural Section) beam for a 40ft span depends on several factors, including the type of load, the type of HSS material, and the required strength and stiffness. A structural engineer should be consulted to determine the specific size needed for your project.

2. Can a 500 kg load be supported by a HSS beam for a 40ft span?

The ability of a HSS beam to support a 500 kg load for a 40ft span will depend on the specific size and type of HSS beam used. A structural engineer should be consulted to determine if the selected HSS beam is capable of supporting the desired load.

3. How do I choose the appropriate HSS material for my 40ft span?

The appropriate HSS material for a 40ft span will depend on the specific structural requirements of your project. Factors such as strength, corrosion resistance, and cost should be considered when selecting the appropriate HSS material. A structural engineer can provide guidance on the best material for your project.

4. Can a HSS beam be used for a 40ft span without any additional support?

The ability of a HSS beam to span 40ft without additional support will depend on the specific size and type of HSS beam used, as well as the type of load it will be supporting. A structural engineer should be consulted to determine if the selected HSS beam is capable of spanning 40ft without additional support.

5. What is the maximum weight that a HSS beam can support for a 40ft span?

The maximum weight that a HSS beam can support for a 40ft span will depend on the specific size and type of HSS beam used, as well as the type of load it will be supporting. A structural engineer should be consulted to determine the maximum weight capacity of the selected HSS beam for your project.