Register to reply

What is the activation energy for a match?

by wes000000
Tags: activation, energy, match
Share this thread:
wes000000
Aug17-14, 01:41 PM
P: 2
I saw a YouTube video where someone took nichrome wire and a high voltage source and managed to light a whole series of matches.

I got me curious so I ran some numbers on how much wattage could be produced for a given length of nichrome wire and a given voltage. And assuming time is no issues you could leave said power source connected to the wire for as long as possible and in theory get a very high amount of joules of energy transfer, but exactly how much energy is required to ignite a match, couldn't find anything online anywhere with specific numbers.
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
Chemical biologists find new halogenation enzyme
Protein secrets of Ebola virus
Protein courtship revealed through chemist's lens
zuloo37
Aug17-14, 07:50 PM
P: 2
Most matches are made with potassium chlorate KClO3 as oxidizer and phosphorus sesquisulfide P4S3.
2 KClO3 decomposes to 2 KCl and 3 O2, at 400 degrees C.
Phosphorus sesquisulfide has a flash point around 100 degrees C, so once the oxidation starts, the P4S3 acts as the main fuel for the match. I think it decomposes to P4 and 3 SO2. P4, in turn, oxidizes to P4O10 in a complex, multi-step reaction. SO2 oxidizes to form SO3.
Then, if there is water in the atmosphere, P4O10 + 6 H2O -> 4 H3PO4 (–177 kJ) making phosphoric acid. Also, SO3 + H2O -> H2SO4 (-88 kJ), making sulfuric acid.

Register to reply