What is the activation energy for a match?

In summary, the conversation discusses using nichrome wire and a high voltage source to light matches, and the potential for using this method to produce a high amount of joules of energy transfer. The speakers also mention the components of a match and the chemical reactions that occur during ignition. They also consider the energy required to ignite a match and the potential for using this method to create phosphoric acid and sulfuric acid.
wes000000
I saw a YouTube video where someone took nichrome wire and a high voltage source and managed to light a whole series of matches.

I got me curious so I ran some numbers on how much wattage could be produced for a given length of nichrome wire and a given voltage. And assuming time is no issues you could leave said power source connected to the wire for as long as possible and in theory get a very high amount of joules of energy transfer, but exactly how much energy is required to ignite a match, couldn't find anything online anywhere with specific numbers.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Most matches are made with potassium chlorate KClO3 as oxidizer and phosphorus sesquisulfide P4S3.
2 KClO3 decomposes to 2 KCl and 3 O2, at 400 degrees C.
Phosphorus sesquisulfide has a flash point around 100 degrees C, so once the oxidation starts, the P4S3 acts as the main fuel for the match. I think it decomposes to P4 and 3 SO2. P4, in turn, oxidizes to P4O10 in a complex, multi-step reaction. SO2 oxidizes to form SO3.
Then, if there is water in the atmosphere, P4O10 + 6 H2O -> 4 H3PO4 (–177 kJ) making phosphoric acid. Also, SO3 + H2O -> H2SO4 (-88 kJ), making sulfuric acid.

1. What is activation energy?

Activation energy is the minimum amount of energy required for a chemical reaction to occur. It is the energy needed to break the bonds between molecules and start a reaction.

2. How is activation energy related to matches?

In the case of matches, activation energy refers to the energy needed to start the combustion process and ignite the matchstick. The match head contains chemicals that react when exposed to heat, producing enough energy to light the match.

3. What factors affect the activation energy of a match?

The activation energy of a match can be affected by several factors including the composition and amount of chemicals in the match head, the striking surface, and the humidity and temperature of the surrounding environment.

4. Why do some matches require more effort to light than others?

Different types of matches have varying amounts of activation energy. For example, safety matches have a higher activation energy and require more friction and heat to ignite compared to strike-anywhere matches, which have a lower activation energy.

5. Can the activation energy of a match be altered?

The activation energy of a match is determined by its chemical composition and cannot be altered. However, external factors such as humidity and temperature can affect the ease of ignition. Additionally, using a rougher or smoother striking surface can also impact the amount of friction and therefore the activation energy required to light the match.