Can Gas Giants' Atmospheres Be Ignited? Exploring the Possibilities

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential for igniting the atmosphere of a gas giant planet, such as Jupiter, and the conditions necessary for this to occur. It is mentioned that a similar event occurred in 1994 when fragments of Comet Shoemaker-Levy 9 crashed into Jupiter's atmosphere, but it did not ignite or burn away. The speaker concludes that it would be difficult to ignite a gas giant's atmosphere unless the gas concentrations were just right.
SatSat
Hi, quick question for you guys.
I was having a discussion the other day with a friend of mine, about whether it was possible to ignite the atmosphere of a planet, specifically gas giants; considering many are made of flammable gasses and compounds (hydrogen, methane etc...). I would have thought that without oxygen, one wouldn't be able to spark a flame anyway, but i would just like to know if there was any other way, and what would happen to the make up of the planet if it did. I'm not an astronomer or anything like that, so was just hoping if you guys could enlighten me.
Cheers!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
hi satsat

welcome to PF :smile:

Back in July 1994, many fragments of Comet Shoemaker-Levy 9 crashed into Jupiter and exploded violently in its mainly Hydrogen ( and a little Helium) atmosphere.

The atmosphere wasn't ignited and didn't burn away. So I would suggest it would be pretty difficult to do so unless the appropriate gas concentrations in an atmosphere were just right for ignition and continuous burning.

cheers
Dave

Thanks a lot Dave, I had thought the conditions would have to be pretty specific; it's good to have an event to defer to.
Thanks again!

1. What is atmospheric immolation?

Atmospheric immolation is a phenomenon where a large amount of material is burned or incinerated in the Earth's atmosphere, resulting in the release of gases and particles into the air.

2. What causes atmospheric immolation?

Atmospheric immolation can be caused by natural events such as wildfires, volcanic eruptions, and lightning strikes. It can also be caused by human activities such as industrial processes, transportation, and burning of fossil fuels.

3. How does atmospheric immolation affect the environment?

Atmospheric immolation can have negative effects on the environment including air pollution, loss of biodiversity, and climate change. The release of gases and particles can also contribute to the formation of smog and acid rain.

4. Can atmospheric immolation be prevented?

While some natural causes of atmospheric immolation cannot be prevented, human-caused atmospheric immolation can be reduced by implementing sustainable practices and using cleaner energy sources. Regulations and policies can also be put in place to limit the amount of pollutants released into the atmosphere.

5. How do scientists study atmospheric immolation?

Scientists study atmospheric immolation through various methods such as satellite imagery, air quality monitoring, and computer models. They also conduct experiments in controlled environments to better understand the effects of different pollutants on the atmosphere.