Why Are Absorption Cross Sections Larger for Atoms Than for Molecules?

In summary, the absorption cross sections for atoms are larger than those of molecules due to the fact that atoms have a single ground state, while molecules have multiple possible ground states. This leads to a larger probability for an excitation electron to be in the correct vibrational and rotational state for absorption to occur. Additionally, the lifetime of the excited state in molecules is much shorter than that of atomic electronic levels, resulting in a smaller absorption cross section for molecules. Comparing absorption cross sections between atoms and molecules should be done with similar species, rather than different ones, and the presence of air can also affect the measured cross sections.
Plane Wave
Why are absorption cross sections for atoms so much larger than that of molecules.

For example, the absorption cross section for the D2 line in Rubidium is ~1E-9 cm^2. Specifically, the cross section is basically σ~λ^2

The absorption cross sections for say, I2, is 9 orders of magnitude smaller! Briefly looking through many of the molecular spectra, all of the cross sections are on order of 10E-18 cm^2 to 10E-19 cm^2.

I2_400-800nm_lin.jpg

http://joseba.mpch-mainz.mpg.de/spe.../Halogens+mixed halogens/I2_400-800nm_lin.jpg

Does anyone know why the absorption cross section for molecular transitions are so much smaller than the atomic absorption cross section?

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider what "absorption" entails. What actually happens at the atomic level in each case you are considering?
What is the essential difference between an atom in a molecule and an atom by itself with regard to the process?

My best answer, which I didn't want to put in the original post to corrupt future responses, was the molecule has many possible ground states and the absorption cross section includes the probability the excitation electron happens to be in that vibrational and rotational state.

Is that what your questions are implying?

I forgot to add that I think there should be something else. There maybe 100 or so discrete thermally populated states from which the molecule can be excited. That's only 2 orders of magnitude instead of 9.

The questions are guiding for you and formative for me - I was hoping to focus your attention on the physical effects behind the equations while learning more about how you think ;)

Note: if you want to compare crossections between atoms and molecules - you should compare like with like: i.e. H vs H2 rather than Ru with I2. I expect you'd get different results for Iodine crystals too.

Did you notice that the crossections increased for pure iodine when there was air in the sample (red)? Apart from that your graph shows only measured spectra for I2.

The lifetime of the excited state (usually a high order vibrational state which relaxes by non-radiative transfer) is orders of magnitude smaller than the radiative lifetime of atomic electronic levels which accounts for the difference in absorption cross section.

1. What is an absorption cross section?

An absorption cross section is a measure of the probability that a molecule will absorb a photon of a specific wavelength. It is typically represented by the symbol σ and has units of area (e.g. cm2). It is a fundamental property of a molecule that is used to calculate its absorbance and concentration in spectroscopic techniques.

2. How is absorption cross section related to absorbance?

Absorption cross section and absorbance are directly related through the Beer-Lambert law, which states that absorbance is equal to the product of the molar absorptivity (ε), the path length (l), and the concentration (c) of the absorbing species:

A = ε * l * c

The molar absorptivity (ε) is a constant that incorporates the absorption cross section and is specific to each molecule.

3. How is absorption cross section measured?

Absorption cross sections can be measured experimentally using various spectroscopic techniques such as UV-Vis absorption spectroscopy or infrared spectroscopy. These techniques involve measuring the change in intensity of light passing through a sample containing the molecule of interest at different wavelengths.

4. What factors affect the absorption cross section of a molecule?

The absorption cross section of a molecule can be affected by several factors, including its electronic structure, molecular size and shape, and the energy of the incident photon. It can also be influenced by the surrounding environment, such as solvent polarity and temperature.

5. How is absorption cross section used in atmospheric science?

In atmospheric science, absorption cross section is an important parameter used to understand the interaction of sunlight with atmospheric molecules, such as gases and aerosols. It can be used to calculate the amount of solar radiation absorbed by these molecules, which is crucial for understanding atmospheric processes and climate change.