Learn How to Make a Hologram: Step-by-Step Guide & Equations

• Thread starter ghost313
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hologram
In summary: Better materials? Luck?In summary, holograms are three-dimensional images produced through the use of interference patterns and laser light. While it used to be a complex and expensive process, advancements in technology have made it more accessible and easier to create high-quality holograms. There are even kits available for amateur holography.
ghost313
Can anyone tell me,or send me a link to a paper on holograms,how to make them and if possible their equations?

Physics news on Phys.org
ghost313,

Try this:
From Scientific American Magazine, The Amateur Scientist:
“How to Ensure a Good Hologram and How to Build an Unusual Kind of Barometer”

by C. L. Stong
July, 1971

http://jesseenterprises.net/amsci/1971/07/1971-07-fs.html

Cheers, Bobbywhy

Did you know you can hand-make crude holograms by manually cutting interference fringes into plastic or metal?

Ha. beat me to it

Last edited:
Thank you all for your kind answears :)

It is an awful lot harder to produce a holographic image of an actual object. You need a good light source, a very stable stage with good mirrors and also a good, flat photographic plate. The early years of optical holography involved a lot of learning about improving techniques. It's almost a 'turn the handle' job now.

Andy Resnick said:
We used this kit in our undergraduate optics lab:

http://www.litiholo.com/

and it works great- no problems.

That is impressive. Someone else has done all the hard work and technology, then. Would you really say that it's a trivial problem to do it - starting from scratch? I guess you will remember how limited the early holograms were. Is the solid state laser less susceptible to vibrations than the gas lasers they used way back? In the video they keep mentioning vibrations. What precautions do you take in the lab, to ensure good images? IS it really as straightforward as the advertising video claims?
The developer free film makes life a lot easier, of course.

sophiecentaur said:
<snip>What precautions do you take in the lab, to ensure good images? IS it really as straightforward as the advertising video claims?
The developer free film makes life a lot easier, of course.

It really is as simple as the advertising claims- no need for heavy stabilized tables, etc. Each student group's initial hologram was suboptimal, but every group produced good-quality holograms using a variety of objects- one group even recorded multiple holograms on a single plate to demonstrate the principle of holographic memory.

I made a hologram of a computer chip:

_DSC5257_zpsad709bd3.jpg

Andy Resnick said:
It really is as simple as the advertising claims- no need for heavy stabilized tables, etc. Each student group's initial hologram was suboptimal, but every group produced good-quality holograms using a variety of objects- one group even recorded multiple holograms on a single plate to demonstrate the principle of holographic memory.

I made a hologram of a computer chip:

I remember that, in the past, there were serious problems in producing decent holograms and an expensive setup was required. Do you know what changed?

sophiecentaur said:
I remember that, in the past, there were serious problems in producing decent holograms and an expensive setup was required. Do you know what changed?

Nope. Smarter engineers?

1. What is a hologram?

A hologram is a three-dimensional image produced by the interference of light beams from a laser or other coherent light source. It creates the illusion of depth and can be viewed without the need for special glasses or equipment.

2. What materials do I need to make a hologram?

You will need a laser, a holographic plate or film, an object to be holographed, and various optical components such as mirrors and lenses. You will also need a darkroom or a dark space to work in.

3. How do I create a hologram?

To create a hologram, you will first need to set up your optical components and align them properly. Then, you will need to illuminate your object with a laser and record the interference pattern on the holographic plate or film. Finally, you will need to develop and process the plate or film to reveal the hologram.

4. Are there any equations involved in making a hologram?

Yes, there are several equations involved in making a hologram, including the Bragg equation, the Law of Reflection, and the Law of Refraction. These equations help determine the angles and distances needed for proper alignment of the optical components.

5. Can I make a hologram at home?

Yes, it is possible to make a hologram at home, but it may require some specialized equipment and materials. It is important to follow safety precautions when working with lasers and chemicals. It may also take some practice and experimentation to create a successful hologram.