States of Matter: 3 vs 5? School Help

In summary, there are technically more than five states of matter, but for simplicity, schools typically teach about solid, liquid, and gas. However, substances in our daily lives like Tarmac and rocks don't fit into these categories, showing that the concept of states of matter is not always straightforward. It may be beneficial for schools to also teach about plasma, which is a common state of matter in our daily lives.
Sciencekid
For school my teacher told me there were 3 states of matter but the internet told me there were 5. Help?

Likes 1 person
Physics news on Phys.org
If you count all the things that can happen at extreme conditions (including things that theoretically might happen but have not yet been observed) there are a lot more than five.

I guess you teacher's three were solid, liquid, and gas. You could add plasma as a fourth "classical" state. You can think of a plasma as being a like gas, but where all the electrons have been separated from the nuclei of the atoms, so every particle has its own electric charge. It occurs naturally in lightning strikes, electric sparks, and sometimes in flames.

Unless you just want a list of names, you can't really understand any of the other states of matter without first learning about quantum mechanics.

Sciencekid said:
For school my teacher told me there were 3 states of matter but the internet told me there were 5. Help?

It's difficult, in School, to understand where the simplified statements you get in your Science lessons apply to the real world you see. Many substances you see around you just do not fit into the simple descriptions of the states of matter you are taught. How would you classify the Tarmac you drive cars on? It flows, over time yet will support large weights for long periods. Solid or liquid? Likewise, the (very solid?) rocks of the Earth will move when the pressures are great enough.

If you are told that you will need to 'know' the three states of matter then it's best to accept that is all you will be tested on. Don't get upset that your extra knowledge seems to contradict it. The examples you get told about in School are the simple ones and are easy to classify. Don't go looking for trouble - life's too short. :smile: Just keep thinking.

You're right, Sciencekid, schools probably should teach you about the five states of matter. Even if not Bose-Einstein Condensates, at least plasma, seeing as it's such a common phenomena

I can confirm that there are indeed 5 states of matter. The three states commonly taught in schools are solid, liquid, and gas. However, there are two additional states known as plasma and Bose-Einstein condensate. Plasma is a state of matter where electrons are stripped from atoms, creating a highly energetic and electrically charged substance. Bose-Einstein condensate, on the other hand, is a state of matter where particles are cooled to almost absolute zero, causing them to behave as a single entity. These two states of matter are not as commonly encountered in everyday life, which is why they may not be taught in basic science classes. However, they are important to understand in fields such as astrophysics and quantum mechanics. So, your teacher is correct in stating there are 3 states of matter that are more commonly known, but the internet is also correct in stating there are 5 states in total. I hope this helps clarify any confusion.

What are the three states of matter?

The three states of matter are solid, liquid, and gas. These states are determined by the arrangement and movement of particles.

What is the difference between 3 and 5 states of matter?

The difference between 3 and 5 states of matter is that 3 states of matter refer to the traditional solid, liquid, and gas states, while 5 states of matter include the additional states of plasma and Bose-Einstein condensate.

Why are there different states of matter?

There are different states of matter because of the varying levels of energy and intermolecular forces between particles. These factors determine how closely packed the particles are and how much they move, resulting in different states.

How does temperature affect the states of matter?

Temperature plays a crucial role in determining the state of matter. As temperature increases, particles gain more energy and move faster, causing them to change from solid to liquid to gas. At extremely high temperatures, particles can even become plasma.

Why is understanding states of matter important in school?

Understanding states of matter is important in school because it is the foundation of many scientific concepts, such as the water cycle, phase changes, and chemical reactions. It also helps in understanding the behavior and properties of different materials and substances.