Removing Gas Bubbles from Liquid Without Contact

In summary, the individual is conducting an experiment to remove gas bubbles from a liquid medium contained within a small plastic mould. They are unable to stir the liquid or make physical contact, so they attempted to use ultrasound to collapse the bubbles. However, this did not work and they are seeking advice on alternative methods such as using a partial vacuum or electromagnetic stirring. Ultimately, experimentation will be necessary to find the best solution.
hamilton17
I am doing an experiment in which I have to remove gas bubbles within a liquid medium. The liquid is contained within a small plastic mould of about 2cm diameter. The conditions of the experiment cannot be changed. My question is, can I practically remove the bubbles.

I cannot stir the liquid or make contact. My main thought was trying to use ultrasound in the hope of collapsing the bubbles. I made a quick ultrasound transmitter with an arduino module. The frequency was 40kHz but failed to cause any bubble formation or collapse. Does anyone know if a higher frequency would result in bubbles forming or collapsing or any practical ways that I can use.

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello and welcome to PF.
It's a common technique to use a partial vacuum. If you get the bubbles to increase in size under reduced pressure, they are more likely to rise to the top and burst. The Vacu-vin is a device that works well on wine bottles. It takes most of the air out of a bottle and will dispel the small bubbles, formed by secondary fermentation much quicker than decanting or leaving the wine to stand (breathe).
The reduced pressure technique is also, commonly used to get rid of the bubbles in plaster of Paris used in fine metal casting (jewellery).
If you have access to a vacuum pump and a bell jar, it would be easy to try.

Collapsing the bubbles by ultrasound would be much the same as stirring the liquid - actually much more violent if you are relying on ultrasonic cavitation - and you said you could not do that. Is it just the physical contact you cannot have - say: the walls get in the way? Then, if stirring would otherwise be an option, how about electromagnetic stirring?

Possibly you just need to remove the bubbles before carefully putting the liquid into the mould.
Whatever you choose, you'll need to do some experimentation to sort out a good solution.

1. How can gas bubbles be removed from liquid without contact?

There are several methods for removing gas bubbles from liquid without contact. One method is to use ultrasonic waves to agitate the liquid, causing the bubbles to rise to the surface where they can be collected and removed. Another method is to use a vacuum pump to pull the bubbles out of the liquid. Additionally, some substances, such as surfactants, can be added to the liquid to reduce the surface tension and help the bubbles to dissipate.

2. Why is it important to remove gas bubbles from liquid?

Gas bubbles in liquid can cause issues in many scientific processes, such as interfering with accurate measurements or damaging sensitive equipment. Additionally, in industries such as food and beverage production, gas bubbles can affect the quality and appearance of products. Therefore, it is important to remove gas bubbles to ensure the accuracy and quality of various processes.

3. Are there any risks associated with removing gas bubbles from liquid without contact?

There are some potential risks involved in using certain methods to remove gas bubbles from liquid without contact. For example, using ultrasonic waves can potentially damage delicate samples or equipment if not used properly. It is important to carefully consider the method and equipment being used to avoid any potential risks.

4. Can gas bubbles be removed from all types of liquids?

Yes, gas bubbles can be removed from most types of liquids. However, the effectiveness of different methods may vary depending on the properties of the liquid. For example, some liquids may require stronger ultrasonic waves or a longer treatment time to effectively remove the bubbles.

5. Are there any alternative methods for removing gas bubbles from liquid without contact?

Yes, there are alternative methods for removing gas bubbles from liquid without contact. Some companies have developed specialized equipment that uses centrifugal force to remove gas bubbles. Another method is to use a process called degassing, which involves creating a low-pressure environment to allow the gas bubbles to escape from the liquid. However, these methods may not be as widely used or accessible as the methods mentioned earlier.