Q) Reversible and Irreversible processes

In summary, during a conversation about Reif's Fundamentals of Statistical and Thermal Physics, the topic of Reversible and Irreversible processes was discussed. Reif explained that the number of accessible states in equilibrium, denoted as Ω, is important in determining if a process is reversible or not. In his opinion, if Ω(initial) is larger than Ω(final), the system is reversible in an isolated system. When asked if reversible processes can be seen in the real world, Reif stated that they are possible but have low probability. The speaker then asked how to accept this theory, to which there was no response.
jaegu
I am studying Reif's Fundamental of Statistical and Thermal Physics. (p.91)

he explain about Reversible and Irreversible processes by using "The number of accessible states in equilibrium(Ω)".

in his point of view, each accessible states have equal probability.

comparing to weather Ω(initial) and Ω(final) is larger or not decides reversible system or not in isolated system.

Then, might I see Reversible process in real world??

in his point of view, Reversible Process means just low probability. I think I can make probability that final and initial state have little difference. So, I could probably see reversible processes.

Am i right?

How can i accept this theory??

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not generating any responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us? Any new findings?

What is the difference between reversible and irreversible processes?

Reversible processes are those that can be reversed by a small change in the conditions, while irreversible processes cannot be reversed by any small change in the conditions. In other words, reversible processes can go back and forth between their initial and final states, while irreversible processes can only go in one direction.

What are some examples of reversible processes?

Some examples of reversible processes include melting and freezing of water, a swinging pendulum, and a reversible chemical reaction.

What are some examples of irreversible processes?

Some examples of irreversible processes include burning of wood, diffusion of gas into a vacuum, and mixing of two substances that create a new compound.

Which type of process is more efficient?

Reversible processes are more efficient because they can theoretically be reversed and no energy is lost in the process. Irreversible processes, on the other hand, involve energy loss due to irreversible changes in the system.

What is the role of entropy in reversible and irreversible processes?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. In reversible processes, the entropy remains constant as the system goes back and forth between its initial and final states. In irreversible processes, the entropy increases, leading to a decrease in the efficiency of the process.