What Wires Connect When Repairing a 3.5mm Headphone Jack?

• Thread starter Instiinct
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wire
In summary, the conversation discussed wiring a 3.5mm headphone jack with a built-in microphone. The person has two sets of wires with different colors and coatings and is unsure how to properly wire them. They were advised to use a 4-pole plug or join the wires in a certain way. The conversation ended with the suggestion of taking a picture for further assistance.
Instiinct
So I have earphones with a built in mic and the 3.5mm jack was broken so I cut the cable at the base where it meets the jack. And I have another 3.5mm headphone jack from some old headphones that has the wires for the built in miss as well. I was wondering which wires go together. On the earphone side there is a red, green, and copper colored wires and they all have an enamel coating. There is also a bare wire that seems to be copper but its green colored. On the replacement 3.5mm headphone jack there are a red green and copper colored wires again with an enamel coating. There is also a bare copper wire like the green colored one from the headphones. How do I wire all of this correctly? Please help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi
Welcome.
Any chance of a photograph of that lot?

sophiecentaur said:
Hi
Welcome.
Any chance of a photograph of that lot?

Thanks hi. Yeah I could take a picture when I get home from the mall.

From your description, I guess your earbuds with mike were wired to a 4-pole jack plug, but your other plug is the 3-pole plug that is "standard" for audio only. Note the way the plugs are divided into 3 and 4 sections by the black insulating rings.

35mm-plastic-stereo-plug.jpg
35mm-4-pole-jack-plug.jpg

The red and green wires are the two audio channels. On the 3-pole plug the other wire is the common return path. On 4-pole plugs and cables, I don't think there is a universal standard for the color codes of the mike signal wire and the common return wire.

If you don't want to use the microphone, it should be OK to join red to red, green to green, and join the other three wires together (two on one side and one on the other).

Otherwise, get a 4-pole plug, and compare the connections on the old broken one with a continuity tester, or use trial and error - there are only two unknown options!

Firstly, it is important to note that wiring can vary between different models and brands of earphones and headphone jacks, so it is always best to refer to the manufacturer's instructions or consult a professional if possible.

However, based on the information provided, it seems that the red, green, and copper colored wires on both the earphone and replacement headphone jack are likely the ones responsible for the audio signal. The enamel coating on these wires is used to insulate them and prevent interference.

To properly wire the earphones, you will need to match the corresponding colors on both the earphone and replacement jack. This means connecting the red wire from the earphone to the red wire on the replacement jack, the green wire to the green wire, and the copper wire to the copper wire.

The bare wires on both the earphone and replacement jack are likely the ground wires, which help to reduce electrical noise and improve the overall sound quality. These should be connected together and then connected to the ground terminal on the replacement jack.

It is important to note that the bare wire on the earphone may not necessarily be copper, as the color can vary. It is best to test the wires with a multimeter to determine their composition and ensure proper connections.

Once all the wires are connected, you can use electrical tape or heat shrink tubing to secure the connections and prevent any short circuits.

In summary, when wiring earphones with a built-in mic and a replacement headphone jack, match the corresponding colors of the wires and connect the bare wires together for proper audio and ground connections. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with the process, it is always best to seek professional help.

First, it's important to note that without seeing the specific earphones and headphone jack, it's difficult to give a definitive answer. However, I can provide some general guidelines for wiring these components together.

1. Identify the wires: As you mentioned, there are several wires on both the earphone and headphone jack, each with a different color and enamel coating. The red, green, and copper wires are likely the ones that will need to be connected, as these are typically used for audio signals. The bare wires are likely ground wires, which are used to complete the circuit.

2. Strip the wires: Using a wire stripper or a sharp knife, carefully remove the enamel coating from the ends of each wire. This will expose the metal underneath and allow for easier connection.

3. Determine the connections: You will need to connect the corresponding wires from the earphones to the headphone jack. This means that the red wire from the earphones should be connected to the red wire on the headphone jack, and so on. The bare wires should also be connected together.

4. Solder the connections: Soldering is the best way to ensure a secure and reliable connection. Heat up your soldering iron and apply a small amount of solder to the exposed metal ends of the wires. Then, carefully connect the wires together, making sure they are securely joined. Let the solder cool and harden before moving on to the next step.

5. Insulate the connections: Once the connections are made, it's important to insulate them to prevent any short circuits. You can use electrical tape or heat shrink tubing to cover the exposed wires and solder joints.

6. Test the connections: Before fully assembling the earphones, it's a good idea to test the connections to make sure everything is working properly. Plug the earphones into a device and test the audio and microphone functions.

Overall, the key to wiring this properly is to make sure you are connecting the correct wires together and that the connections are secure and well-insulated. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with the process, it may be best to seek the help of a professional or someone with more experience in wiring electronic components.

1. How do I determine the correct wire gauge for my project?

The wire gauge you need depends on several factors, such as the amount of current the wire will carry, the length of the wire, and the type of insulation required. You can consult a wire gauge chart to find the appropriate gauge for your project.

2. What is the difference between solid and stranded wire?

Solid wire is made of a single piece of metal and is commonly used for permanent installations, while stranded wire is made of multiple smaller wires twisted together and is more flexible, making it suitable for applications that require frequent movement.

3. Can I mix different wire types in the same circuit?

No, it is not recommended to mix wire types in the same circuit. It is important to use the same type of wire throughout a circuit to ensure proper conductivity and to avoid potential hazards.

4. How do I properly strip and terminate wires?

To strip a wire, use a wire stripper or a utility knife to carefully remove the insulation without damaging the wire. To terminate a wire, use wire connectors or terminal blocks to securely connect the wire to a terminal or another wire.

5. How do I ensure the safety of my wiring installation?

To ensure the safety of your wiring installation, make sure to follow all local electrical codes and regulations. Use proper wire gauges, secure all connections, and test the circuit before use. It is also recommended to have a licensed electrician inspect your wiring installation for safety and compliance.