Electron accelerator build

In summary, the necessary magnetic field strength for a 20kv @ 60ma electron beam to travel around a 90° turn will depend on the speed of the electrons and the radius of curvature desired. It may be necessary to use multiple magnets along the path to achieve the desired field strength. Additional information, such as the speed of the electrons, is needed to determine the exact magnetic field strength needed.
Rob Hoff
How strong of a magnetic field do I need to get a 20kv @ 60ma beam around a 90° turn? / Do I need more information to find out?

Engineering news on Phys.org
The electrons go around the corner independently. They will need to travel 90° around a circular path. How much time do you have? What radius do you require?

You will need to determine the dimension of the poles of your magnet. The poles will need to be big enough to enclose the electron beam during the turn, yet small enough to have a high field.

The optimum solution may be to have several magnets along the path. That may explain why accelerators are usually circular.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorentz_force
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gyroradius

Last edited:
First you need to know the speed of the electrons. Applying a voltage to a free moving electron will impart kinetic energy to it.

E = V * e = 20kV * 1.6*10^-19 = 3.2*10^-15

and 1/2 * m v^2 = E

so v = (E*2/ m)^0.5 = 8.4*10^7 m/s

Note that I didn't factor in relativity. I'll leave that for you to figure out.

Now you can pick a radius of curvature that you would like, the centripetal force needed for that curvature, and the magnetic field needed to achieve that force from Lorentz's force law and the speed of the electron in your experiment.

Hey thanks you guys, and sorry if that sounded like I wanted you guys to do my homework. It really wasn't meant that way. Thanks for the equations. :)

And Baluncore, I have as much time as it takes!

Last edited:

To accurately determine the strength of the magnetic field needed to achieve a 20kV @ 60mA beam around a 90° turn, we would need more information about the specifications of the electron accelerator. This includes the length and radius of the turn, the velocity of the electrons, and the type of accelerator being used. These factors will affect the force and trajectory of the electrons, which in turn will determine the necessary strength of the magnetic field. Without this information, it is difficult to provide a precise answer. However, in general, the magnetic field strength can be calculated using the equation F=qvB, where F is the force, q is the charge of the electron, v is the velocity, and B is the magnetic field strength. Therefore, with the appropriate information, we can determine the necessary strength of the magnetic field to achieve the desired turn for the electron beam.

To accurately determine the strength of the magnetic field needed for a 20kV @ 60mA beam to make a 90° turn, we would need more information. Some factors that would impact the calculation include the mass and charge of the particles in the beam, the radius of the turn, and the desired radius of curvature. Additionally, the design of the accelerator and the materials used would also affect the required magnetic field strength. It is important to consider all of these variables in order to accurately determine the strength of the magnetic field needed for the beam to make the desired turn.

What is an electron accelerator?

An electron accelerator is a scientific instrument that uses electromagnetic fields to accelerate electrons to high speeds. It is commonly used in research and industry for a variety of purposes such as producing X-rays, studying particle physics, and sterilizing medical equipment.

What are the key components of an electron accelerator?

The main components of an electron accelerator include an electron gun, a series of accelerating structures, a power supply, and a beamline to guide the accelerated electrons to their target.

How does an electron accelerator work?

Electron accelerators work by using electromagnetic fields to accelerate electrons in a vacuum. The electrons are first produced by an electron gun and then accelerated through a series of alternating electric and magnetic fields, gaining energy with each cycle until they reach their desired speed.

What are the advantages of using an electron accelerator?

Electron accelerators offer several advantages over other types of accelerators, such as proton or ion accelerators. These include the ability to produce high-energy electrons, the ability to vary the energy of the accelerated electrons, and the ability to produce focused beams for precise targeting.

What are some common applications of electron accelerators?

Electron accelerators have a wide range of applications in various fields, including medical research and treatment, materials science, and industrial processes. They are commonly used for producing X-rays, sterilizing medical equipment, and studying the structure and behavior of atoms and molecules.