Photon emission during x-Ray ionization process

In summary, during ionization with radiant energy, a photon emission can occur as a result of a collision between an x-ray and an atom. This can happen even without having excited bound electrons in the atom. Quantum mechanics also explains that there is a probability of other outcomes, such as the creation of an electron-positron pair, depending on the particles involved and their properties.
mark_usc
Dear mates:

During ionization with radiant energy there is a photon emission (see http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/mod3.html). I know photon emission occurs by a decay of radiant energy from a excited state and what is confusing to me (I can't find a logical conection) is that the expulsed electron from ionization takes all the radiant energy and leaves the atom without excited levels for energy decayment.

Waiting for comments

Marco Uscanga

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what you find confusing. An x-ray is colliding with an atom and -- because it has so much energy compared to the electric potential energy that holds the electron to the nucleus -- it knocks off the electron (ionizes it). Quantum mechanics tells you that there is also a probability that a photon is emitted as a result of this collision, which would carry off some of the momentum/energy. If you repeat the experiment over and over, some of the time you will get no photon, and sometimes you will get a photon...
You don't necessarily have to have excited bound electrons in order to create a photon... I don't know where you got this notion. Photon(s) can result from a particle collision directly (like a meson hitting a proton for example).

ok Euquila! I think I have to take into account that Quantum mechanics tells you that there is also a probability that a photon is emitted as a result of this collision, which would carry off some of the momentum/energy

Ya quantum mechanics is very interesting. For example, it is also possible that in this collision that a electron-positron pair is created, provided that the x-ray has enough energy with respect to the sum of the rest masses of these 2 daughter particles E_photon >= 2*m_e, with c=1. What you should realize is that when 2 particles collide, there are many outcomes that can occur with various (or even equal) probabilities depending on the which particles are colliding (gluons, photons, protons, etc...), their energies and momenta, whether they have integer spin (boson) or fractional spin (fermion), and other properties too...

What is photon emission during the x-Ray ionization process?

Photon emission during the x-Ray ionization process is the release of electromagnetic energy in the form of photons when an atom or molecule is excited by the absorption of high-energy x-rays. This process results in the production of characteristic x-ray photons that are specific to the elements present in the sample being analyzed.

How does the x-Ray ionization process work?

The x-Ray ionization process involves the bombardment of a sample with high-energy x-rays, which have enough energy to remove electrons from the atoms or molecules within the sample. This process creates positively charged ions and free electrons, which then recombine to produce characteristic x-ray photons.

What is the significance of photon emission in x-Ray ionization?

Photon emission is an essential aspect of x-Ray ionization as it provides valuable information about the chemical composition of a sample. The energy and intensity of the emitted photons can be used to identify the elements present in the sample and their concentrations.

How is photon emission measured during the x-Ray ionization process?

Photon emission during the x-Ray ionization process can be measured using a variety of techniques, including x-ray fluorescence spectroscopy and x-ray diffraction. These methods allow scientists to analyze the energy and intensity of the emitted photons and use this information to identify the elements present in a sample.

What are some common applications of x-Ray ionization and photon emission?

X-Ray ionization and photon emission have a wide range of applications, including material analysis, medical imaging, and security screening. They are also used extensively in research laboratories for elemental and chemical analysis of samples.